When Jesus was on the cross he said "Father why hast thou forsaken me". Who was he talking to?

If he was one with the father was he talking to himself or is the father really a separate entity and he was asking for help?

I am looking at 20 answers so far and I can't find a best answer. Nobody can really explain it to my satisfaction. Most are trying to excuse this as Jesus the man and Jesus the son of god which is one with the Father. If he is one with the Father then he need not have asked the question. I will let Y pick the best answer.

Favorite Answer

First of all, Jesus quoted Psalm 22:1 which begins with, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?". Jesus quoted this Psalm in order to draw attention to it and the fact that He was fulfilling it there on the cross.

Psalm 22 was written about 600 years before Christ was born. At that time, crucifixion had not yet been invented. Actually, the Phoenicians developed it and Rome borrowed the agonizing means of execution from them. So, when Rome ruled over Israel, it became the Roman means of capital punishment imposed upon the Jews whose biblical means of execution was stoning. Nevertheless, Jesus is pointing to the scriptures to substantiate His messianic mission.

2 Cor. 5:21 says, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." It is possible that at some moment on the cross, when Jesus became sin on our behalf, that God the Father, in a sense, turned His back upon the Son. It says in Hab. 1:13 that God is too pure to look upon evil. Therefore, it is possible that when Jesus bore our sins in His body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24), that the Father, spiritually, turned away. At that time, the Son may have cried out.

• Judy

When Jesus became a human being, to give us a second chance, He took on Himself all our human frailties. We don't understand quite how He could be fully God and fully man at the same time, but He was split off from God physically when He became human, although spiritually He was still God. When He hung on the cross, all of the guilt and wrongdoing done by the entire human race, past, present and future, was placed onto Him.

God cannot look upon sin, and Jesus was "made sin for us". The separation between them had to be complete for the sacrifice to have meaning. This is the separation which all those who reject God must face, when they undergo the "second death".

So Jesus cried out to His Father, "Why have you forsaken me?" At that point, He could not see His Father and He could not see beyond the cross. It is a marvel to me that He chose to stay there. How easily He could have come off that cross and left us all to our misery!

I can't help but love a God like that, who gave Himself to save us.

• I like this answer. However, if I may add....I believe that God is a Family...so it would be very easy for Jesus to be God AND man. Just as one could be a Smith AND a Frank.

Jesus only became "The Son" when he was born into this world and became flesh. He is one with The Father and always has been. Read John1:1," In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." It is mind-blowing and possible that our feeble minds can't quite wrap itself around such abstract, yet simple principles.

God the Father. Jesus said that he and the Father were one. Jesus took the whole sins of the world upon himself the sins that had been committed and the sins that all humans have committed and will commit in the future. God can not look upon sin so when Jesus willingly took upon all the sin, God turned his back on Jesus. It is impossible for the human mind to comprehend this, but it can only been understood by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit dwells inside each Christian.

God the Father. He is one with His Father in purpose and authority, not in physical being. They are separate. Jesus states over and over again that His Father is better/higher/above Him.

They are both "God". But remember, God isnt a name. They are part of the same singular Godhead. Consisting of Father, Son, Holy Ghost. But not the same being.

Actually, the human nature of the Lord Jesus cried out "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

Psalms 22:1 My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me? Why are You so far from helping Me, And from the words of My groaning?

Every other time in the gospel accounts the Lord Jesus spoke to His Father.

Only the human body of the Lord Jesus died and it was the cry of that human nature that called out to his God as he felt his life slipping away.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

It is my understanding... Back in that day the Scriptures were not broken down by numbered chapter and numbered verse. The scholars would id entry the scroll by the first few lines. If you look further into Psalms 22, you see it describes what Christ was experiencing. Verse 14-18

14 I am poured out like water,

and all my bones are out of joint.

My heart has turned to wax;

it has melted within me.

15 My mouth[d] is dried up like a potsherd,

and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;

you lay me in the dust of death.

16 Dogs surround me,

a pack of villains encircles me;

they pierce[e] my hands and my feet.

17 All my bones are on display;

people stare and gloat over me.

18 They divide my clothes among them

and cast lots for my garment.

This is possibly why the Roman Soldier acknowledged him as the Son of GOD. He realized the passage in Psalms was a prophecy, as it was written so long ago and Christ was pointing out ....see it is happening to me now.

Just my understanding

Correction: It's My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me.

Matthew 27:46 is simply quoting Psalms 22:1

Point: the plural God: Law: is both good and evil, ends badly.

So the same thing happens to the Son of David as to David.

Law = forsaken

Grace = approved

Study to shew thyself approved

He was talking to God the Father.

He was talking to His Father but he wasn't asking for help. It was His being Man that was asking because as a Man He didn't understand why He was being forsaken. Jesus had to take on being the Second Adam so mankind could be forgiven of their sin.