Who is better writer and why: J.K. Rowling or Stephenie Meyer?

I wonder who in Your opinion is better writer: J.K. Rowling or Stephenie Meyer? And why do You think in this way?

(I mean better writing style (plot, action, characters, background) in books they created but also theirs own personalities and lives.)

If somebody would be interested in my opinion, I think J.K. Rowling is much better writer than Stephenie Meyer.

Favorite Answer

In my opinion, J.K. Rowling is the better writer.

Rowling is a generous, giving person who donates substantial sums of money to charity. She creates good role models in her series. She also dislikes the idea of girls worrying about how they look, as in, their weight. Her Harry Potter series are interesting, wonderful, fun, and exciting. I like them a lot, but I wouldn't say I love them. I think Harry is a believable, realistic character, especially being written by a female. I know some females have difficulty writing a male main character. Her concept is fascinating and I love how all her books flow together and are completely important to the series. The plots are fantastic. The action is great too. As a person, Rowling is quite mature. When it comes to answering questions, she seems to be honest and neutral. I've got a feeling she has been bugged numerous times by Dramione fans, and has been flat-out asked rude questions. She seems to act her age and isn't afraid to annoy her readers.

Stephenie Meyer. Ah. I think she wasted a perfectly good plot. The Twilight series would've been amazing, had she not made so many mistakes. I did not enjoy how flat Bella's character was, how abusive and controlling Edward came off. Jacob was a decent, sweet guy in New Moon, but then he turned into a jerk in Eclipse. I was flabbergasted. Bella also has some Mary-Sueish qualities. I do like her style of writing and her wide range of vocabulary. I did like the little details she put into Twilight, but I couldn't get over her impossibly flat characters. There were some cheesy lines there too. I'm not mentioning them, but they were cheesy. Also, sometimes the characters did things that were hard to understand; example, Bella loving the child inside of her in Breaking Dawn, despite the fact it is causing her immense pain and draining the life away from her. Um, all right. And Jacob's pedophilic imprinting. Ugh! Also, SMeyer has a thing for giving very calm answers to her questions. It's hard to explain, but whenever a fan is upset about something, she doesn't defend herself like she should. She simply shrugs her shoulders and offers an explanation, carefully walking around some things that she knows might annoy her readers. I assume she's a kind, insightful person, but her books...no, just no.

Source(s): Again, simply my opinion. Let's at least attempt to respect one another here.
  • dowe

JK Rowling. Stephenie Meyer's ok. Twilight's somewhat sturdy yet Harry Potter is merely super. the full plot of Harry Potter is so properly concept out. And JK Rowling is the 1st author ever to become a billionaire from writing books.

J.K. Rowling, hands down. Her world has captivated the hearts and minds of young elementary students to elderly people. The world is just full of richness; characters, spells, foods, the words even seem magical. Plotholes, if any, are hard to find.

In personal lives, Rowling lives in a CASTLE. She's also not a crazy Mormon like Meyer is.

:D

Rowling.

Whenever I read anything by Stephanie Meyer, I never forgot that I was reading a book. I never got lost in the story because of her inability to make things feel realistic. Emotions? Yes, Meyer is right on with her ability to affect emotions, and that's how her books are so popular... But Rowling has emotion, lovable characters, great plots and believable writing.

• Amy

J.K. Rowling is better. Anyone in their right mind would see that.

J.K. Rowling has plot changes, suspenseful action, unsuspected twists and turns, and an extremely well thought out story. Rowling put 15 years into the making of her Harry Potter books. It's pretty obvious that Stephanie Meyer didn't put in nearly that much effort into her Twilight series.

Also, Rowling has developed characters. Bella? Emotionless and never developed at all.

There you go.

• SarahJ

I don't really think they can be compared in any way except in terms of profit and fans.

Profit: J.K. Rowling is much richer than Stephenie Meyer. Good job, Jo. Sucks for you, meyer girl.

Fans: Well, let's see. J.K. Rowling has way more fans that twilight. Because she has more profit, and profit depends on number of fans.

They can't be compared in ANY other way.

EDIT: So some twitard (twilight retard) sneaked in and thumbs downed all the answers that supported Rowling. Twitard, we are on to you. And just saying, it's pathetic how you feel the need to thumbs down all the answers so you feel better about yourself.

I'd say Rowling all around. Rowling not only has a better writing style, well rounded characters, depth in her writing, and a great plot, but I actually see her going out and doing things. She goes to events, she supports charities, she spends time reading her books to kids and answering questions. I don't hear or even see Meyer doing much of anything out in the public eye. Truth be told I'm not even sure what she looks like.

• Leann

I don't think they can be compared. I prefer Stephenie Mayer. I really felt the gloomy environment. And, it's also a rather sweet-clean love story. Anyways, Oscar Wilde said "Everything popular is wrong" that is what pretentious a**holes say. And, no one can compare Anne Rice to Stephenie Meyer. They are are nothing alike. Stephenie Meyer is her own. No one wrote books like Twilight before this generation. So, I don't really like either that much but I choose Stephenie Meyer.

• Oxford

JK Rowling. Her books are worth something, have good characters, better plots and appeal to a much wider audience than Stephanie Meyer. For instance, I'm a foamy-mouthed first-person-shooter player, and I like Harry Potter books. My sister is a Gossip Girl watching girly girl and she likes Harry Potter. In my mind, comparing those two authors is like comparing a maggot next to an elephant and arguing over which would win in a fight.

Rowling is more creative and has the intellect to carry complex plots. Meyer is just the Anne Rice of this generation exept that her stories are too simple and have no depth. How Twilight got this popular has nothing to do with the author's skill but more to do with the youths reading them.

Neither one can be called great authors but if I had to choose, it would be Rowling for sure

"Everything popular is wrong" -Oscar Wilde.

@projectJK (Update/ Edited) What I mean by this quote is that it's really hard to see younger generations think that's these type of books are valuable literature. This has NO reflection on the asker of this question at all, I'm glad Sharada read and enjoyed these books. Are they fun? Yes. But talking to the kids that actually read Twilight it seems like more of "the thing to do". It's the popular thing to say that you read and liked Twilight. I have a feeling that a lot of these kids either haven't actually read this book or read it and didn't like it much but will say they did because their friends say they did.

Am I glad they are reading instead of watching tv? Yes. Am I worried that Twilight will lower literary standard? Yes.

Basically: I hope that young readers will learn to read books they actually like and that are valuable instead of what is popular.