which power tool brand to buy?

i am an electrician and im looking for power tools to use at work.

i was thinking about either porter cable or dewalt, they both have the tools i am looking for but i keep hearing dewalt is better for work and porter cable is better for home, is there a certain reason for this?

at the moment i do plan on getting: impact drill, cordless/corded radio, recip. saw, circ. saw, and possibly more in the future.

i would also like to know if there is a benefit to NiCad or Li-ion in my situation

Thanks

• XTX
    Favorite Answer

=== Klein for the handtools and DeWalt for the battery operated power 20volts --- remember to save the corded tools as those batteries can flip out and you want to keep working ... """My battery died so I just had to go and get a beer or two""" [[ sounds like my brother ]]] LOL .... you will be happy with the new line of DeWalt [[ the way to make a battery in a hand op tool to last is to use it up and then recharge a very low battery -- charging a batt because you do not want to run-out of power is not a correct action and that actually wears out the battery at a faster rate }}} get a surge protector plug end it's about the size of a stubby screw-driver handel to use for your charger on the jobsite as those gas powered generators can surge ....

• krn001

I've been a DeWalt fan for almost 20 years. The 12V drill/driver from 1994 still has the original batteries. The 18V 5 1/4" circ saw from 5 years ago already needed new batteries. The key is to use cordless tools quite often. When they sit without being used the batteries don't seem to hold a charge for long, maybe that's why the drill has lasted 17 years. If you buy from the big box stores the tool is not the same. Most of them are speced out with plastic gears & parts, get them from a tool store, lumber yard etc.

• Linda

Dewalt seem to be the only power tools that do not have a history of breaking. I have owned many crappy brands like Black and Decker, including Makita and Skil, and Dewalt is by far the better choice. Dealing with Makita specifically, i bought one of their power drills which broke in less than a month.

• Ken

Brands: You don't have to go with the same brand on all of your power tools. Why not buy best of class for each type of tool?

Batteries: I prefer Li-Ion in general because I like to put my spare on the charger without worrying how much charge it might have. NiCd's have that memory effect where you're only supposed to charge it after it's fully discharged. Li-Ion batteries also are lighter, which offsets some of the added weight of bigger batteries (which other than weight have speed and torque advantages).

Source(s): See pros and cons of battery type factor in "which is the best cordless drill?" http://www.howtodecide.com/cordless-drill/#~tf.bat...

I am familiar with dewalt for contractors grade, go with dewalt that has lithium battery, Li-ion are long lasting and work longer, be safe in using power tool. good luck.

Dewalt batteries usually give off better torque for longer periods of time. That is why most people in construction stick with them.

Source(s): Electrician

Power tools,BOSCH used their drills for years can't fault.

28v milwaukee kit

Source(s): electrician