ChubbyD asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 9 years ago

Is this system worth upgrading?

The desktop I am using, (or trying to use), for recording software is an HP a6554f.

It came with Vista 64 bit but I have installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. (clean install).

It has a Pegatron Benecia MO BO, Chip-set: G31/G33/P31/P35,

Southbridge Intel 82801 IR,

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz,

500GB HDD, 5GB of DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-6400/800 MHz).

I was thinking about just adding some RAM. I have 1 - 2GB RAM Module & 3- 1GB modules for a total of 5GB factory installed RAM

I was thinking about taking out 1 stick 2GB & 3 sticks of 1GB (5GB total) and replacing with: Crucial Ballistix 8GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz 4 x 2GB. 8GB is my system max.

Is this the upgrade I need or should I upgrade a different component?

The software I want to run is: Cakewalk Music Creator 6.

I would assume the mother board can handle the 8GB since this is a factory built HP desktop. I have installed LE4 version of Steinberg Cubase recording software as well as free versions like Audacity. For whatever reason, they always crash on me. I assumed that it was due to my system not having enough speed or power.

I am torn because my PC is a 2008 and as we all know, that is pretty ancient in "Computerland". Ultimately I would like to use a laptop. Would these specs work?

Model #:

AS5253-BZ686

Operating System:

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor:

AMD Dual-Core C-50 Processor – 1.0GHz

Memory:

4096MB Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory

Upgradeable to 8GB

Hard Drive:

500GB (5400RPM)

The 1.0 GHz is what scares me! Too weak?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Your mix of ram sticks might be the source of your troubles. Find out what the max memory that you motherboard supports and what type. If it is 8GB, get 4 X 2GB sticks of the corrrect type.

A 60% increase in ram can make a very big difference in the operation of some programs. I went from 4GB to 8GB on a quad core and my video processing time dropped from 70 seconds per minute of video to under 40 seconds per minute of processed video (same video).

I wouldn't touch the laptop for this application if the desktop which is more powerful is having a hard time. Processor speed is certainly something to be concerned about.

Source(s): Experience

Are you sure you really need 8GB of RAM? 5GB is plenty, and you probably won't see any, if at all, speed improvement by going up 3GB from an already high amount. Also, your motherboard may not be compatible with 8GB of RAM. All motherboards have a set memory limit.

Source(s): I build computers, customize, and repair them.

I think you should install the software first and see how it runs. It will probably be OK, but if not, you can update easily later.

I have used "crucial" in the past and been very happy with them.

Source(s): practical expeirience