Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

what should my 12 year old grandaughter take to help her sleep?

She has insomnia at least 3 to 4 nights a week what will help her sleep

11 Answers

Relevance
  • ok
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Chamomile tea, steep one or two bags 1/2 hr b4 bed. Sleep in a darkened room. No tv, high tech, computers 1 hr b4 bed.

Same bed time each night.

Exercise in day time.

Healthy diet, organic foods, no sugar, carbs, processed foods.

Use Stevia for sugar, delicious.

Let her be hormonally evaluated by HRT doctor like this thehallcentervenice.com a list of doctors in your area can be found by calling a compounding pharmacy and asking what doctors do that. This is very important.

A healthy schedule, with time to relax and play, positive things each day.

Remove emotional baggage with this method each night b4 bed, eftuniverse.com click on 'get started free'. Also very important. eftmasters.com

Find her healthy mentors in her areas of interest , and healthy adults to confide in and ask advice from.

Get up to date on schools, especially the prevalence of bullies, how to handle them, self defense classes, the high rate of sexual activities, intercourse, oral sex, rape, and drugs, by peers her age, lack of face to face communication skills because of high tech/computers, leadership groups , develope social skills face to face, don't stick your head in the sand. Go to the school, observe.Know the trends, selfinjuy.com mental health issues as 'cool' and ways to avoid problems. Problem solve instead of suicide. How to handle pain and emotions. KNOW what her day is like and friends.

teenrelationships.com girlsinc.org doublesunrise.org loveisnotabuse.com giverespect.org loveisrespect.org bbbs.org

Source(s): x
  • 9 years ago

Well, melatonin is a good herbal drug to use, however, if you need something stronger, Trazodone Hydrochloride is a sleeping pill that I take. A very low dose of it should help her get to sleep. If Trazodone interests you, you can find tons of information online, and from a psychiatrist, who you'll have to see to get the prescription anyway. The only bad thing about trazodone is that it is an anti-depressant and has been proven to, in some cases, cause suicidal thoughts in teenagers under the age of eighteen.

Also, make sure she isn't watching TV or doing anything really active right before bed. Is she having bad dreams that keep her awake? Maybe she needs a night light. If not, maybe there's too much light in her room. Just experiment with her surroundings a bit. They also sell hot tea's that help you fall asleep.

Hope all works out for you. (:

• 9 years ago

Do some research on melatonin. It's a naturally occuring substance in the human body that helps regulate sleep, they offer tablets of it to help regulate sleep patterns and I've had excellent personal experience with it after years of insomnia (I'm now 25).

She will probably experience some vivid dreams, this is common when taking melatonin as a sleep aid. Best of luck.

• Pari
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Make sure she stops watching the tv 2 hours before bed, give her a glass of warm milk, close all the lights in her room then ask her how her day was like keep her busy you could read a book to her.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

melatonin :) our bodies naturally produce the hormone - her body might not be able to produce enough. this is what i took when i had trouble sleeping a couple of years back. make sure u find a proper website to buy it from tho :)

Source(s): me
  • 9 years ago

I would try giving her some chamomile tea. You can get it in grocery store and it's very relaxing give it to her about an hour before bed.

• 9 years ago

Milk a good book, the radion, listen to her problems some attention and love a cuddle perhaps

• 9 years ago

Rescue Remedy helped me when I was that age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_remedy

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

melatonin is helpful and its just a herbal pill. not bad for you

• Naguru
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

If you have your great grand mother, please find out. She will be able to suggest some natural and traditional methods. Modern medicines are useless and have side effects.

Source(s): own
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.