17 is under 18.
How to apply for a provisional permit if you are under 18
To apply for a provisional permit, you will need the following:
• Be at least 15 ½, but under 18 years of age
•Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
• Complete the application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies obtained by xeroxing, faxing, or other methods will not be accepted.)
• Have your parents’ or guardians’ signatures on the application form DL 44
• Give a thumb print
• Have your picture taken
•Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
• Verify your birth date and legal presence
•“Provide your true full name if your name no longer matches the name on your birth date legal presence document.”
•Submit the proper form(s) for driver education and/or driver training classes (See below for details.)
•Pay the application fee (This fee entitles you to three exams of any type within the 12-month period and pays for both the instruction permit and the driver license. If all requirements are not met within the 12-month period, the application becomes void and all steps must be completed again.)
•Pass a vision exam
•Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 46 questions on the test. A passing score is at least 39 correct answers. You have three chances to pass the test. If you fail, you must wait 7 days before taking it again.
Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.
Driver Education and Driver Training Form Requirements
If you are 15 ½ to 17 ½ years of age, you will need to provide a:
• Certificate of Completion of Driver Education.
• Certificate of Completion of Driver Education and Driver Training.
• Certificate of Enrollment In An Integrated (Classroom) Driver Education And Driver Training Program.
Before being eligible to take your driving test you must:
• Be 16 years old
• Have held your permit for a minimum of six months
AND• Have completed driver education
AND• Have completed 6 hours of professional driver training
• Have completed 50 hours of practice with an adult 25 years or older. The adult must have a valid California driver license and certify to the 50 hours of practice. At least 10 of the 50 hours must have been done at night.
To take your driving test, you will need to:
• Make a driving test Appointment(s) . (Driving tests are not given without an appointment.) You may also call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, to make a driving test appointment.
•Provide proof of financial responsibility
In fact even if you wait until age 18, you would still need the permit first since you can't drive in CA without a license or permit, and to pass the drivers test you need to drive.