RADHA
Lv 6
RADHA asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 8 years ago

Please EXPLAIN this saying by Arundhati Roy?

"People from poorer places and poorer countries have to call upon their compassion not to be angry with ordinary people in America." - Arundhati Roy

Update:

I read this line but couldn't understand is it a sarcasm or request or advice.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

It's not sarcasm. I think the point is that the ordinary people in America are the ones who need to be regarded with compassion, because in non-material ways they are not so fortunate, and it's not their fault.

• 4 years ago

Arundhati Roy is an Air Head.And that is my say on her.I couldn't care about her saying because it is all crapola. Have a nice day.

• 8 years ago

This quote basically explain how poor individuals experience jealousy when they see people that have more than them. They can become angry and extremely frustrated whenever they see people spending money so carelessly, when they can hardly afford to pay their bills. That is why they have to "call upon their compassion not to be angry with ordinary people..." This basically means that poor people try to be understanding of others' lifestyles so that they can avoid becoming angry or jealous.

• 8 years ago

She is appealing to people from developing nations around the world to not bear ill sentiments towards the ordinary American, as the collective are not responsible for the actions of a few.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Sounds like advice to me...because even the destitute in America have more than the average in other countries, so for them to look at us must be like looking at a spoiled child. I know that I would be angry if the roles were reversed.

• 8 years ago

Roy thinks that people of poorer countries think all Americans in US are rich. This is not true in this age of global communiction network.

• manish
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It simply means that the common me of America are as innocent as the common people of other poor countries there should they should not get annoyed by the people.

The real culprits are the shrued politicians of every country.

• 8 years ago

actually this is linked with the present things going in USA they are cutting down their unwanted expenses, which effects imports and other services which US is getting from some Poorer countries..

Source(s): News
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Emotions apart.

thought rises from the quotes is.

people in developing countries should not to compare with the standard of the living in advanced countries.

• Naguru
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Let me analyze and examine it from some or the other philosophical angle. I may have to consult few of my wise friends and my Mentor also.

Source(s): own
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.