Why do the King and Queen of Spain have to be Catholic?

Why can't Protestants, Jews, Orthodox, or Muslims be crowned as King of Spain?

Update:

I was trolling on the first one, not so much on this one. Can someone give me the exact law that forbids a non-Catholic from being Monarch or Consort of Spain?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Olly
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

After reading their Succession and regency...there is no law that says King and Queen of Spain have to be catholic.

Monarchy of Spain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Spain

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

If a British Royal marries a Roman Catholic, he or she looses his/her place interior the line of succession. besides the reality that Edward VIII supply up his throne for the female he enjoyed, a two times-divorced American, no customs or rules at the instant ward off a divorcee from starting to be to be Queen if actuality be told if no longer in call. Now in answer on your question: Camilla Parker Bowles is via regulation the Princess of Wales, whether she chooses to bypass via the identify the Duchess of Cornwall; apart from, she is an Anglican fairly than a Roman Catholic, even however her first marriage became to a Roman Catholic, and he or she raised her babies interior the Roman Catholic faith. besides the shown fact that, if Camilla needs the identify of Queen Consort after Charles ascends to the English throne, Queen Camilla is strictly what she would be able to be referred to as. by the type, Prince Felipe, the inheritor obvious to the Spanish throne and a Roman Catholic, married a divorcee, Letizia Ortiz, in could 2004. P. S. The Act of settlement in 1701 excluded Roman Catholics from succession to the British throne.

• 9 years ago

1. As a matter of fact, there is no LAW (that I know of) specifically stipulating the Spanish Monarch and his/her Consort have to belong to the Catholic Church.

It has always been the case since Spain is predominantly Catholic country and since the Spanish Monarch bears the title "Su Católica Majestad" (His Catholic Majesty), however it is not an actual law.

2. Succession to the Spanish Throne is regulated by the relevant articles of the Spanish Constitution 1978 (articles 56 to 65).

Passages from Article 56:

- The King is the Head of State, the symbol of its unity and permanence.

- His title is King of Spain, and hemay use the other titles appertaining to the Crown

- The person of the King is inviolable and shall not be held accountable

Passages from Article 57

- The Crown of Spain shall inherited by the successors of H.M. Juan Carlos I de Borbon, the legitimate heir of the historic dynasty.

- The Crown Prince, from the time of his birth or the event conferring this position upon him, shall hold the title of Prince of Asturias.

- Should all the lines designated by law become extinct, the Cortes Generales shall provide for the succession to the Crown in the manner most suited to the interests of Spain.

- Those persons with a right of succession to the Throne who marry against the express prohibition of the King and the Cortes Generales, shall be excluded from succession to the Crown, as shall their descendants.

Passages from Article 61

- The King, on being proclaimed before the Cortes Generales, shall take oath to discharge his duties faithfully, to abide by the Constitution and the law and ensure that they are abided by, and to respect the rights of citizens and the Autonomous Communities.

- The Crown Prince, on coming of age, and the Regent or Regents, on assuming office, shall take the same oath, as well as that of loyalty to the King.

3. Again, there is no Law that says the Monarch, his/her Consort, Heir(ess) to the Throne have to be Catholic; it's just always been the case.

Queen Sofia, born a Greek Princess and thus, Orthodox, was accepted into the Catholic Church following her marriage. However, that was her OWN choice, not requirements of a law.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because Spain is and has been, for over 500 years, a Catholic country. It's one of the things they are very proud of. And the royals of Spain have always believed themselves to be more devout than the popes, themselves. While it is no longer illegal to ascribe to any religion of choice, there, the king and queen are still Catholic.

I'm not sure if there is a law, but, you know...for most of history, one has always been the same religion as one's parents, by nature, and, though there have been some breaks with that, most European royalty are still Catholic, with the exception of the Scandinavian countries and Britain, as you asked in the last question you posted.

Here's a thought: Try studying a little European History. You know, the stuff you were supposed to have done before you finished Middle School, or, at least, by graduation from High School. If that's not a review, there's still plenty of places online to find that information.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • lulu77
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Ah. Oh good. So now I know you're trolling and not just an idiot. I was worried there for a moment.

EDIT: I would imagine it would be the same answer as the other one, then...funny thing about Monarchies, things tend to get passed down through the family.

• 9 years ago

Because of that religious crap. Vatican probably would not want to do business with anybody else. I'm pretty sure they like to trust their own to carry out their duties.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.