i'm me
i'm me asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 9 years ago

does the media have an obligation to inform the public?

if so, why? if not, who would inform of everything the government is doing/not doing?

Favorite Answer

Not really; it depends on where you live. In the USA (and less so Europe), the press is little regulated and the public expects to be informed (not obligated) and if they don't, they don't last long. That doesn't mean that all information should be made public (classified information, for instance) and stories are chosen as per the bias of the publishers making writing them biased in the same way. In fascist Russia, news is highly regulated as is also true in China and other dictatorships and both want the USA to relax rules on the I-net to make it easily censored.

Anarchy is bad for the people and helping enemies of the people by providing classified information endangers everyone - that is why there is no obligation to inform the public. The motivator is to continue being successful and to do that, most information must come out but responsible/true journalists know where to draw the line in pushing their private agendas.

Every time I have known what really happened and then later read about it in the newspaper, not only were they wrong but they made up stuff that never happened.

No, they don't have an obligation to inform the public and they usually don't.

They public does not have the right to know personal and private matters concerning anyone including politicians.

But politicians use the press like the press uses them. Each of them uses the other as meat to get or keep their jobs.

Yes to a point but then once it gets into the realm of national security, endangering the lives of our soldiers and people working undercover, I say no. These days though the media informs the public through sensationalism or bias, there's very little neutrality left in the media.

Yes and I think it is a public service.

Nope, the media is already lying so i guess no one