Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 8 years ago

Is Detroit nice? Why or why not?

I've been looking at pictures of Detroit (that is, the downtown and skyline, the city itself) and it looked nice.

As I understand it, a lot of people say Detroit is dangerous. But from what I saw the city itself was nice.

Also, why is the city about 3/4 African American? One thing that makes a city great to me is a variety of people, like in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Sacramento, etc.

Anyway... is Detroit nice?

Favorite Answer

Detroit has been in decline for many decades and it has some very dangerous spots. All cities have their seedy side, Detroit just seems to have much more. The reasons are probably many, bad leadership, tax and regulatory policies which have not worked, and I understand it is hard to start a business there. It isn't the African American population which causes the problem, it is that the environment doesn't enable folks there to be innovators in the business world and historically, the city has been waiting for the big 3 auto companies to return to the glory days of the 1950s and 1960s. They may recover after a fashion, but those days are gone.

I am not in that area often, but when I am I see it as a waste of precious human resources. Their current mayor (Dave Bing) has some out-of-the-box ideas and I hope they work. They also need someone able to pull together the various ethnic populations there to work together to solve their mutual problems. I don't get the sense of pulling together for the greater community that I see in other places. God knows they need something new and Detroit, and its leadership, has my best wishes.

Source(s): just another Texan who occasionally travels there on business.

Most of the downtown is nice. The nicest areas in Detroit are the more touristy areas. Places like the museum district, Greektown, are great. If you want night life and casinos, this is also just about your area.

But Detroit has many problems. However, that doesn't mean that the minute you set foot in Detroit you see a rundown slum, or get robbed. And forget public transportation. There is a monorail downtown, but it is a joke. You can walk to most destinations faster and it only covers about a 1 mile radius.

• priore

Why is the city so black? From 1973 until eventually 1989, it had a mayor named Coleman youthful who dedicated his entire mayoral time period to driving those with funds out of the city. certain, the city does have some brilliant spots; yet there are also neighborhoods which have not had operating highway lighting fixtures considering the fact that 1967. there is sufficient vacant land contained in the city, if it were all one block, to absorb the city of San Francisco. And on each and every occasion someone comes up with a concept to opposite this example, the guy right away receives jumped on by technique of the community political and non secular community for wanting to carry again slavery. (search for city farming plans in Detroit to get a concept of what i'm speaking about.)

yes, Detroit is crazy if you're not from there or if you don't know the right people. the economy has been wayyyy down since probably the late '90s, and the crime rates are very high, ranging from murder, to car jacking, to armed robbery, rape, etc...the only place i'd have to say where i haven't seen Detroit that bad is downtown. it's more industrial and you can do more down there without having to watch your back as much, but don't get too relaxed! haha

Detroit it is not very safe...you careful for unsafe area.

No you have a better chance of getting shot there than in Iraq or afganistan