Informing the employer regarding marital status change?

Hello everyone,

This question is for Ontario. Am I obligated to inform my employer if I get married or become common law partners with someone?

Favorite Answer

No, not at all. In fact, there's no obligation to inform your employer of your marital status in the first place - pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, they're not even allowed to *ask* during the recruitment process. If you don't want to share that information, you don't have to.

you may wish to change the amount of income tax deducted at source - in which case you must complete a new T1 (I think that's the name of it) Your HR department can take care of that. Otherwise you are under no obligation to inform them.

• HD

no, but for insurance coverage or change you have to inform either the company or insurance provider.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't. I can think of several scenarios where it would make things more complicated for you if they didn't know.