? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 years ago

If I go to the DMV in MN and ask for my Birth Certificate, will I get a short one or the "long" one?

All non-answers and spam will be reported. I believe I have the short version. It has my full name, my sex, my DOB, my TOB, the city or township of Birth, the county, my parent(s) and my Parent(s) birthplace

On the bottom it says "This is a true and official record of the birth Registered in the office of the state Registrar. Date filed: January 08, 1992" All in caps.

Do I need get another one or is one good for passports and etc?

Favorite Answer

The Minnesota Department of Health has a web page about this, listed below. When you look there, if you view the form to request a certificate by mail, you will see there is only one kind of certificate.

There are over 14,000 styles of legitimate birth certificates in use in the USA, so "short" and "long" don't really mean anything. The US State Department has recently toughened the requirements for a birth certificate used to obtain a passport; the new requirements are given in the link below.

The biggest change, in my opinion, is the requirement to list the parent's names. Some states used to issue wallet-sized certificates that did not give the parent's names, so those certificates are too short.

I doubt you will find any requirement that is tougher than the State Department's requirement, so your certificate should be fine for everything.

Source(s): http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/chs/osr/birth.h... Minnesota Department of Health http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5401.htm... New requirements for birth certificate when obtaining passport

The copy you have is absolutely legal for any purpose..AND SAYS SO ON THE FRONT.

People got sucked into the "long form" scam which had NO legal rationale...it was a political manipulation.

And you don't get a birth certificate at the DMV.

• Zach

You wouldn't get either. The Department of Motor Vehicles wouldn't have your birth certificate. You'll need to contact the office of the state registrar

Birth Records Search Database - http://birthrecords.neatprim.com/

What part of "true and official record...." do you not understand?

Yes, it's good for ALL legal purposes.

Just like Obama's short form was (despite the crap from wack-righties).