I want to become a computer programmer?

What do I need? I am studying for the SATs. Is it heavily dependent on that? Like I want a career in programming computers. Like writing code. I want to help with cyber security... and I want a WELL paying job.

Favorite Answer

Security and development are often at cross purposes. It sounds like you'd be happier keeping networks secure than you would writing code. Especially if you're in it for the money. Writing code is for guys like me that really loved legos as kids and have fun building things. You sound like you're more looking for something that'll feel rewarding and valuable, like you're making a real difference and getting paid to do it. If you decide later you want more of a challenge, you can always continue improving your skills and sysadmin later in life.

So for you, I would look into getting a (C)ertified (I)nformation (S)ystems (S)ecurity (P)rofessional certificate. I don't normally recommend certificates, but network security is one of those rare niche industries where the certificate honestly helps you stand out. You can find out more about the CISSP here, https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/CIS...

As far as school goes, the best path for people like yourself is to get your diploma, get any job that'll keep you alive for a few months while you study and get your certificates, and then hit the ground running at an IT call center or help desk. Start out at the bottom and absorb as much as you can, and more importantly make some friends. Then if you want more interesting work you can return to school, or if you're happy with what you're doing you can just keep racking up experience. Honestly, except for the confidence booster, I wouldn't even bother with the SATs. You're looking at an industry where smarts, skills, and experience matter more than education.