Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

bcnlvr asked in SportsOlympics · 10 years ago

How Might New Sports Be Petitioned For The Olympics?

I know the Olympic events generally stay the same each year with the exception of baseball which was removed and some sports added. How might I go about petitioning a sport to e included in the Olympics? What steps would I have to take?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • James
    Lv 6
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First, there has to be a single international federation (IF) that governs the sport and conducts international competition.

Second, the IF needs to apply for, and receive official recognition from the IOC. This requires the IF to adopt the ethical principles of the IOC. In recent years, this has particular meant that they comply with the World Anti-Doping Code.

Once the sport is recognised, the IF then needs to request that their sport be added to the Olympic Programme. A committee periodically reviews the applications to add new sports, and new events for existing sport to determine what will feature in future games. Factors include the popularity of the sport, the number of countries in which it is played, potential television audience, etc. Based on the report and recommendations of the committee, the General Session of the IOC has the final vote as to which sports and events will be conducted. This is done far in advance of the Games in which the change is to occur. For example, the IOC voted in 2009 to add Rugby Sevens and Golf to the 2016 Games in Rio.

It should be noted that there are over 30 IF's recognised by the IOC whose sports are not included in the Olympic Programme. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international...

Finally, it is possible for a new sport to make it to the big stage if it allows itself to be adopted by an existing IF. Snowboarding was fast-tracked because it worked with the the skiing IF (FIS), thus becoming a new discipline of an existing sport, rather than seeking recognition as a new sport with its own IF.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Equestrian will continue to be an Olympic sport in 2016 and 2020 Olympics. I, for one, don't like this sport as well because this is the only Olympic sport where athlete will depend on the performance of his/her horse in order for him/her to win a medal. But sadly,it would be very difficult that this sport will be removed from the Olympic Games because rich people compete in this sport. And we all know, money goes around in IOC.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.