Fellow Christians: What does it mean to "Seek Ye First The Kingdom of God"?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you"

Matthew 6:33

I have studied the words "seek ye first the kingdom of God" for years

and I have a general idea of what it means to me...

but I would love to hear what it means to other believers.

Thanks in advance :)

Update:

WOW!! So many wonderful answers :) Thanks everybody!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Kingdom means both the group who live in the Kingdom but especially the

authority of that Kingdom. Like the wise men seeking Jesus Christ.

If we heard of a wonderful place with no sin, we might put all our

efforts to do this. First means 'foremost', or 'the pinnacle' so

it is uppermost to us.

But along with seeking God first and His rulership, and those that live

under that rulership, we also seek first His righteousness in our lives.

So, when I do this, I put everything in my life as under His authority

and wanting it to fit well together with His plans with His own

body of believers wherever I find them.

• Linda
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Nice answers and there is even a bit of the bible in there but none of it is the truth.

If you asked a number of people including preachers what the theme of the bible is, most of them would tell you it is salvation through Jesus and they would be wrong, The theme of the bible is God's kingdom.

The kingdom of heaven is a real government with Jesus as it's king and leader. It has already cleansed heaven of all evil beings and has already established a nation of God's people here on earth. Jesus is leading that group of people and they are carrying out God's commandments. One of those commandments is that the good news of the kingdom be preached over all the world before the end comes. Matthew 24:14.

God's people are doing that right now. The good news is of course that the kingdom is real, it has been established, it will soon take over the world and all the things that Jesus demonstrated while he was on earth will take place on a global scale. The blind will see, the lame will walk, the old will grow young. There will be plenty of food for everyone. No one will say, "I am sick" and best of all death will be done away with. There will be no more sorrow or pain or fear.

Even the dead will be resurrected. It is only by means of God's kingdom that these things can be accomplished. That is why Jesus taught us to pray for it's coming.

To seek the kingdom means to learn what it is, support it by supporting God's organization and give as much time as you can to teaching others about it so that they can also have a chance at everlasting life.

This is God's will and those of us who love God and are willing to obey Him is this matter will receive the ultimate reward. All of eternity with our loved ones and everlasting peace. Come join us.

Source(s): One of Jehovah's witnesses.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

It is the Gospel of the Good News - and it is within reach IF you know how to do it (See II Corin 12:1-4). The Kingdom of God is something that can be experienced and can be done all by yourself. You go about seeking it by learning how to access and then access it. It can be found through diligent practice and doing it. Why it is to be sought is several reasons: 1. Heaven/Kingdoms is something that can only make sense to you IF you experience it yourself. 2. When you've experienced it, there's nothing to compare. 3. It is easier to stay in compliance with Holy Law by knowing what it is not what it is not. The attraction of good things comes from the Knowledge and Obedience to Holy Law NEVER 'belief' and 'faith'. In fact, 'belief' and 'faith' are the VERY things keeping people away from Holy and Righteous TRUTH! The instructions on How to do it are in The Anointed, The Elect, and The Damned!

• Golfer
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Jesus said The Kingdom of heaven is at hand. He is the way to heaven.

So Jesus should be your top priority, and because Jesus is the WORD made flesh then the Word should be your priority.

Remember Jesus said I only say what the father Tells me to say. So what did Jesus say while on earth, the Kingdom of heaven is at hand and He explained the scriptures so His disciples could understand.

FYI Jesus said He was the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE.

The way was the entrance to the tabernacle, the Truth was where the sacrifices were held and the Life was inside the Holy of Holies. So seek the Kingdom of God is to seek Jesus.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

To me it means the context it is already in which are the verses Matthew 6:31,32 and 33. ;) No need for me to need to worry about tomorrow, seek the kingdom today.

Matthew 6:34

King James Version (KJV)

34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

When we make it our priority to place God first in our lives, seeking His wisdom and not relying on our own, He will give us the things we need so that we do not have to concern ourselves with them. He takes care of those things for us. For example, if we make it the most important thing in our day to take time to read His Word, to be faithful in prayer, give thanks for what we receive, and verify that we are open in our hearts to receive and do whatever He tells, we can then be reassured that we are on our way to becoming like Jesus, with devotion to a sinless life.

• Robby
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Jesus told us that The Kingdom of Heaven is inside us, so it means to look deep inside Ones self and be true to your self because with God any thing is possible, we have the power and Jesus proved it.

• Karl
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It means when God is first in your life (and God knows when this is, if it is at all) we will get all things added to us to make us have a great life in God.

But it just does not happen overnight, it takes time and us praying to Jesus for God to get us to this point in our lives. Only in time can one get all things added, but as we seek God and his righteousness and make God first we get closer to God and once we are close enough nothing can remove us then we get it all added to us.

bless you.

The more we seek and want to know the more God gives us knowledge and understanding. This makes us closer to God and as we get closer we make God more and more first, til finally God is first and all things are then added to us.

take care and email for more or anything about God or Jesus.

• 9 years ago

Remember the bracelets that read WWJD? That was a reminder to kids to put God First in all they do.

Think of it as driving-remember the phantom police car? Well, years ago there was a commercial on TV-urging us all to drive as if there was a phantom police car behind us. This would make us all get into good driving habits.

Same thing with your life.

Remember, when you die-you go immediately to your Particular Judgment, and will see a replay of your life...through God's Eyes.

Put Him first-He will take care of you.

It's not easy, as we tend to take things back.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

+Jesus, I Trust In You!

• hmmm
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Seek God over personal desires and you will have what you need. It may not be what you think you need but, unless we claim to be God we don't know what we need now or what we will need in the future.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.