Sore throat pain under tongue please help!?

One week ago, I started to feel a sore throat (thursday night). The next morning (friday) I had a very painful sore throat and headache. The next day, the headache was gone and the sore throat was less bad. the next day, the sore throat was more painful. I had a stuffy/runny nose (post nasal drip, etc..all that... show more One week ago, I started to feel a sore throat (thursday night). The next morning (friday) I had a very painful sore throat and headache. The next day, the headache was gone and the sore throat was less bad. the next day, the sore throat was more painful. I had a stuffy/runny nose (post nasal drip, etc..all that good stuff :P) throughout the weekend and through this week as well. Throughout the week my symptoms have been of various intensities..it seems to be random, not related to stress, sleep, etc. (after nights with more sleep, the pain would be either more or less, but did not seem to directly relate). On Tuesday, I went to the doctor to get tested for strep and mono. I had none of the symptoms for mono (other than sore throat) and the tests for strep came back negative. But two days later I had even more pain! A few hours ago, during dinner, I noticed that swallowing food caused me lots of pain in my throat, but it feels like the pain is coming from under the back of my tongue/throat. It has become extremely painful to eat, and talking/movement of my tongue causes pain as well. I'll definitely call the doctor tomorrow if it doesn't go away, but does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? I'm really scared because I've never had this symptom before. And yes, before you say it, i AM getting 8+ hours of sleep now.
8 answers 8