Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What does the Hebrew word "Aravah" mean in English?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Merc
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

(It's not just the branch; it's the name of the tree itself.)

(1) In Biblical Hebrew aravah is also a synonym for desert ("[...] and the [aravah] shall rejoice and shall blossom like a rose" Isaiah 35:1. "[...] and He shall make its desert like a paradise and its [aravah] like the garden of the Lord; joy and happiness shall be found therein [...]" Isaiah 51:3.)

In Israel, "The Aravah" is the valley stretching from the Dead Sea to Eilat (Deuteronomy 1:1). There are some nice nature reserves there.

(2) In Modern Hebrew especially, aravah also means "prairie" (I'm not familiar with Geography, nor am I an English speaker, so I don't know if that's the exact word). The TV series "Little House on the Prairie" is known in Israel as "bayit katan ba'aravah".

==

@GivPerf: Your "bank" meaning is probably an error. Do you have any url to prove this? "arvei nachal" is just another name for the tree, because often if can be found near a stream ("nachal"). It's a more poetic name than plain "aravah" so it's used on occasions only (e.g., the classic book "The Wind in the Willows" was translated as "ha'ru'ach be'arvei ha'nachal").

• YoniA
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

1) Wilderness, steppe, plain, desert (Jeremiah 5:6; Isaiah 35:1)

2) A name of an area in the Land of Israel, between the Dead Sea and the Red Sea (Joshua 12:3)

3) Willow (Leviticus 23:40; Psalms 137:1-2)

Source(s): Hebrew speaker
  • 9 years ago

Aravah is a willow branch, one of the four plants used in the Sukkot holiday.

• 9 years ago

1) Plain (flat expanse of land)

2) Bank (of a river or stream, ex. "arvei nachal")

3) Willow

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Aravah

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.