Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

How to apply for Citizenship in the UK?

Okay I am an 18 year old American and I want to go to the UK next year to do all my schooling and eventually become a psychiatrist in England. What do I need to do to be able to study over there, get a part time job and apply for citizenship? I'm a bit confused, but I know I want to live there sooner rather than later.

Asides from marrying someone, I'm not going to do that just to become a citizen :P

Favorite Answer

You can't apply for citizenship if you are not married to a citizen until you have lived legally and continuously in the UK for a minimum of 6 years - 5 years to get your ILR (permanent residency) then one more year before you could be naturalised as a citizen. Years spent in the UK on a student visa do not count towards residency requirements, so if you wanted to study in the UK it would be 10 years before you could become a citizen if you went to school for 4 years, then were lucky enough to find a company willing to sponsor your work visa for 5 years

If you want to study in the UK you need to apply to and be accepted at a British University. The UCAS website has all the info you need for applying as an international student http://www.ucas.com/students/wheretostart/nonukstu...

If you are accepted and can meet the financial requirements (you need to show you have funds to cover all fees and living expenses) then you can apply for a student visa. As a full time student you are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week during school terms and full time during school breaks.

When you finish school then you have to leave the country within 30 days unless you are able to find a company to sponsor your visa.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

very little chance ..there are a million Europeans wanting to do the same

thing and they do need a visa