If I make an mp3 and copyright it then upload to my site for $1.99?

If I make an mp3 and copyright it then upload to my site for $1.99 then some guy downloads it for $1.99. But then he uploads it to his site and he gets 1,000,000 downloads. Now 1,000,000 people have it FREE and I only made $1.99 worth of money. Can I prevent this?

Favorite Answer

Well, it's difficult to prevent, but the good news is that you are going to be very rich. You can register your copyright and sue the guy for $1,990,000 that you "lost" because of his copyright infringement. Or you could sue for up to $150,000 in "statutory damages" without having to prove you "lost" anything.

Because the infringement may have cost you over $1,000, you can also file a federal criminal complaint for willful infringement for profit and he may do several years in federal prison for his theft of your song.

Source(s): http://www.copyright.gov/title17 Chapter 5 is the list of things that happen to copyright violators http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-18/justice/minneso... Article about "sharing music" costing Minnesota woman $80,000 per song.

No you can not. Not even big music label artists can prevent this. But if you get a million downloads of your song whether you only made 2 dollars then that means youll have real fans that will want to support you as an artist for future projects. If your just starting out then take it as free publicity maybe? Good luck

Ha, the classic piracy problem. There are things like DRM which help prevent this, but unless you have a company behind you, this is difficult to do. Even huge companies can't prevent this. So...

The basic rule is, just focus on making a great song and sell it. If people really do like it, they will buy it. If people pirate your music, you can think of it as getting free publicity. Notice how many artists upload music videos to Youtube? People can listen to it free. Sure, you might not make money, but you reach audience. And audience is arguably the most important asset.

Trust me, if people do post your song for free online, people really like it.