I want to be a firefighter, what do I study in college?

Its about time for me to start applying to colleges and I REALLY would like to become a firefighter. I know that to have higher chances of becoming a firefighter it would be better if I got a 2 years Associate degree under Fire Science, and if I became EMT certified and then became a paramedic afterwards. But I would really like to go to a 4 year college. The schools Im wanting to go to are University of California in Irvine, and California Baptist University. My real question is what academics will I study under? If im going about this wrong let me know, I just want to become a firefighter as soon as I can, preferably a paramedic firefighter.

• Geomi
    Favorite Answer

I have studied and made recommendations for students who have wanted to become firepersons, and what I have learned is that the best and most efficient way to do that is apply at your nearest firehouse to be enrolled in a specialized fire fighting program right out of high school.

The route you want to take is a more expensive and will add four years of college when their are no four year colleges or community colleges that offer what you called "fire science." Another way which is also longer and more expensive is to go to a college that offers forestry as a major, and take a four year program there, then go to the firehouse and train as a fire fighter. Colleges that offer forestry as a major are as follows:

United States

Northeast Division of Forestry, Natural Resources, and Recreation, Paul Smith's College

School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale University

College of Natural Sciences, Forestry and Agriculture, University of Maine

Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture, University of Maryland

Department of Natural Resources Conservation, University of Massachusetts

Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, University of New Hampshire

Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management, State University of New York-College of Environmental Science and Forestry

School of Forest Resources, Pennsylvania State University

The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, The University of Vermont

MidwestDepartment of Forestry, Southern Illinois University

Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, Purdue University

Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management, Iowa State University

Department of Forestry, Michigan State University

School of Forest Resources & Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University

School of Natural Resources & Environment, University of Michigan

Department of Forest Resources, University of Minnesota

University of MinnesotaThe School of Natural Resources, University of Missouri

School of Natural Resources, Ohio State University

Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology, University of Wisconsin–Madison

College of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point

SouthCenter for Forestry and Ecology, Alabama A&M University

School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, Auburn University

School of Forest Resources, University of Arkansas

School of Forest Resources and Conservation, University of Florida

Warnell School of Forest resources, University of Georgia

Department of Forestry, University of Kentucky

School of Renewable Natural Resources, Louisiana State University

School of Forestry, Louisiana Tech University

College of Forest Resources, Mississippi State University

Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University

College of Natural Resources, North Carolina State University

Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management, Oklahoma State University

Department of Forest Resources, Clemson University

Department of Forestry, Wildlife and Fisheries, University of Tennessee

Department of Ecosystem Science and Management, Texas A&M University

Arthur Temple College of Forestry, Stephen F. Austin State University

Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Division of Forestry, West Virginia University

WestDepartment of Forest Sciences, University of Alaska Fairbanks

School of Forestry, Northern Arizona University

Department of Forestry and Wildland Resources, Humboldt State University

College of Natural Resources, University of California, Berkeley

Department of Forest, Rangeland, and Watershed Stewardship, Colorado State University

College of Natural Resources, Department of Forest Ecology and Biogeosciences, University of Idaho

College of Forestry and Conservation, University of Montana

College of Forestry, Oregon State University

Department of Wildland Resources, Utah State University

College of Forest Resources, University of Washington

Department of Natural Resources Management, California Polytechnic State University

Others in the U.S. at Wikipedia, List of forestry universities and colleges, @http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_forestry_univ...

Source(s): Wikipedia, List of forestry universities and colleges, @http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_forestry_univ...

That's a good question!

You have get these speci gloves and ask for a fight with a fire. Fight and win and you will become one!

maybe study whatever you fall back job might be.