Do black people have some kind of copyright on using the "N" word (serious question)?

I was talking to a black co-worker the other day, telling him about how I introduced my grandpa to "n*g**g*3*r music." It was just a joke. I put on some rap music in my grandpa's truck to show him how black people like to rock or "jam" to their favorite songs. My grandpa calls black people... show more I was talking to a black co-worker the other day, telling him about how I introduced my grandpa to "n*g**g*3*r music." It was just a joke. I put on some rap music in my grandpa's truck to show him how black people like to rock or "jam" to their favorite songs. My grandpa calls black people the "N" word all the time (that's just how he was raised) so that's why I used the word in the story. I told my co-worker the story because I thought it was funny but he quickly got offended by me using the "N" word. He said that the word "offends him and many other people" and went on to lecture me about a bunch of random stuff. But I always hear other blacks at the job call each other that word, so I don't see what the big deal is? Why is it OK for them to say it but then they get upset when us whites use the word? That's a double standard. Black people don't have a monopoly on using the "N" word?