Hi I have to write research paper for my college english class need help.?

Its my first year in college and I'm in english. This is our first paper and I'm kinda nervous and confused on how to write this paper. I plan to do the paper on The Story of an Hour and/or A Rose for Emily. (both are short stories). Im just confused on what the topics really mean. I will copy the... show more Its my first year in college and I'm in english. This is our first paper and I'm kinda nervous and confused on how to write this paper. I plan to do the paper on The Story of an Hour and/or A Rose for Emily. (both are short stories). Im just confused on what the topics really mean. I will copy the rubric for the paper below. Thanks for you help.
Research Essay #1

Your Assignment: Write a 3-4 page research essay on one or more short stories that you have been assigned this semester.

Possible topics are:
• An analysis of a particular work in terms of plot, point of view, character, tone, irony, diction, and/or humor. You could focus on one of these elements of fiction, or on several. (Guidance for writing this type of paper can be found in the “Writing About…” sections that conclude chapters 1, 2, 3, and 6.)
• An analysis of an idea or quality common to two or more works (comparison/contrast)
• An analysis of the origin and development of a particular work in terms of the author’s biography or attitudes/positions
• An analysis of the origin and development of a particular work in terms of the time period and significant events associated with when the work was written
Also, refer to p. 21-31 and 608-610 for topic selection guidance.

As a research essay, your paper should:
• Contain and cite information from three or more relevant, credible academic sources other than your textbook. No more than one of them may be a website. The best way to locate these is by using the library catalog and library databases, NOT “regular” internet searches.
• Avoid plagiarism and contain MLA in-text citations and a Works Cited page.
• Appropriately balance information gained from research sources with your own ideas, and refrain from simply summarizing the content of research sources.

Your paper should also:
• Present an analysis that is convincing and well-supported with details and quotations from the story or stories and from research sources. Refer to p. 56-60 for guidelines on using quotations effectively.
• Keep the following in mind in terms of purpose and audience: “You should consider your reader as a person who has read the work, just as you have done. This person knows what is in the work, and therefore does not need you to restate what she or he already knows. Instead, your reader wants to learn from you what to think about it” (20).
• …thus, avoid plot summary.
• Contain a statement of the central idea and a thesis statement in its first paragraph. (These may be in the same sentence or two different sentences.)
• Contain well-organized paragraphs. Each paragraph should contain a topic sentence, and each of its sentences should be directly linked to that topic.
• Frequently make explicit connections/references to the thesis.
• Be characterized by “exact, comprehensive, and forceful language” (48).
• Avoid writing in first person (“I” or “we”, except when quoting from the text) and referring directly to your analysis or research process. This keeps the paper’s focus squarely on the story/stories and research sources.
• Follow the book’s guidelines regarding verb tense and use of authors’ names (35, 36).
• Be grammatically correct and well-organized.
• Demonstrate overall clarity, flow, and sophistication.
• Be formatted and submitted according to guidelines outlined in the Course Syllabus.
Update: Like what topic would be the best for the stories i choose and how that topic goes well with the stories.