promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what is moon data and tide graph? saw it on a watch?

i saw a feature on a watch where it has moon data and tide graph, what is it and what does it do? is it a new feature for watches?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • lare
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

By moon data i assume that you mean lunar phase (ie new moon, waxing, waning etc). A tide graph is based on the position of the sun and moon at your location. The syncronization of Lunar/Solar positions can be roughly calculated based on the lunar phase. Lunar phase indicators have been common since the invention of mechanical watches. But left it up to the sailor to figure the tide predictions. A modern digital watch can incorporate additional calculations so the tide charting is a relatively new innovation. Actual tides at any given location are very complex and the watch should only be taken as a guide.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Tide Graph

• 9 years ago

Moon dials, which show the current phase of the moon,

have been available on watches and clocks for centuries.

If a new watch is said to have "moon data", that is probably

a new term for the same old thing, possibly shown as segments

on an LCD display (as it is on my Skyscan radio-controlled clock).

A tide graph would show the times of high and low tides

of oceans and (very) large lakes.

There is nothing new in the general idea,

but there may be a new way of showing the information.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is moon data and tide graph? saw it on a watch?

i saw a feature on a watch where it has moon data and tide graph, what is it and what does it do? is it a new feature for watches?

Source(s): moon data tide graph watch: https://shortly.im/AcPu2
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

The gravitational attraction of the moon for the earth is stronger on the side closest to the moon, so it attracts the ocean water, which is free to move, toward the sublunar point, creating a high tide. But the gravity also attracts the earth away from the ocean water on the other side, creating a high tide there as well. The earth's rotation causes the tides to move around the earth; the friction causes the earth's rotation to slow slightly, and the moon's distance from the earth to increase (presently at about an inch a year).

• 3 years ago

what the **** you guys talking? the question is just simple - what is the use of moon graph or data? and yet your answers??

• 9 years ago

Fisherman and fisherwomen use them as fishing aids. Knowing that data can tell you when and if you know where, to fish.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.