Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)English Football (Soccer) · 9 years ago

what's a good football team name?

I ask because Europeans usually don't like American team names. But I'd prefer not to use "F.C.", "United", or "City".

I meant that I needed an original team name suggestion for my football team in the US.

• CMD
    Favorite Answer

Football really is not about funny names. United, City Athletic, Sporting or whatever are traditional names NOT Jets Bears Wombles or whatever stupid name you want to come up with.

The US changes everything about the sport, ties instead of draws soccer instead of football and all the other US sportingism it all just makes you look a bit stupid.

Take the place where you team are from and add AFC after it or a proper footballing name as I’ve said, you’ll be the only ones doing it and wouldn’t look a tit to the rest of the world.

@Fierydog

“Quit this bullshit about American sports names. First of all you have no right to compare American baseball, basketball or American football team names to football names. “

Yes the OP wants to take footbal and use style of name that is more recognised in the NFL, MLB or NBA than in the a European football league.

The MLS has changed the names of many of their clubs to be less ignorant to the game of football, that alone should cut the bullshit.

Like Sounders or Galaxy

Also, don't you think some of the British names sound moronic too? You all probably don't think they are (just because most are just named after their city, well wake up, in America professional sports teams are only located in the bigger cities, what ends up being more redundant? FC United of Manchester, Manchester City, Manchester United. Or New York Yankees, New York Jets, New York Mets, New York Giants???), even though there are tons of stupid British footballing names but you all are just conditioned to hearing it all the time.

Once again a yank contradicting themselves, by calling the British ignorant then speaking out of their a.r.se about something, you really give you people a bad name.

ALL football teams are relevant they are not “nick names” United is prevalent name for a team that was also a Rugby football club as United means all together, the same as a team is called Sporting or Athletic means that they have other sports played at that club, Athletic.

Even clubs with nick names like Hotspur have this because of the person whom founded the sporting club.

Nick names in American sports were introduce to make it a “brand” everyone knows that. We don’t do that in football, accept it and stop with this De-Europeanism you damn country does with everything else.

• Lynn

Jack the Rippers AHMO (I mo kick your butts) The Clappies The Burners Mule Kicker The Pink Panthers The Godzillas The Proctologist The Cancers The Toxic Shocks The Jim Jones Darth Vaders The Road Kills The Road Warriors The Colt 45's The Used Trojans The Goats The Mike Tysons 5 Miles of Bad Road Pete Pumas The Funkadelicas The Convicts The Prisons

• Fiery

Manchester Divided

Edit: Quit this bullshit about American sports names. First of all you have no right to compare American baseball, basketball or American football team names to football names. The MLS has changed the names of many of their clubs to be less ignorant to the game of football, that alone should cut the bullshit. Also, don't you think some of the British names sound moronic too? You all probably don't think they are (just because most are just named after their city, well wake up, in America professional sports teams are only located in the bigger cities, what ends up being more redundant? FC United of Manchester, Manchester City, Manchester United. Or New York Yankees, New York Jets, New York Mets, New York Giants???), even though there are tons of stupid British footballing names but you all are just conditioned to hearing it all the time.

Edit 2: You simply can't sit there and criticize my culture while defending your own in the same manner. Also, I called the MLS ignorant, not you. How many American sports franchises operate in more than one sport like European clubs do? Nearly none. You have the audacity to also criticize America for de-Europeanizing the game? Since when was football Europe's game? Are you still fuming over 1776 mate? If you have opened up a history book it is apparent America has done things slightly different than Europe throughout the course of life. Now, do you really stand by your argument? Because then all Kiwis, Koreans, nearly all African and Oceanian clubs are as stupid as Yanks (So let's see, Great Britain colonially influenced areas: Asia, Africa, Australia and North America adhere to "Stupid brand names" while Spanish and Portuguese influenced South America adhere to "your definition of proper football naming" And you say I am contradicting myself) because they all have nick-names as well. Melbourne Victory, Suwon Bluewings. For instance. Oh yeah, and what about Bolton Wanderers? Blackburn Rovers? Queens Park Rangers? English clubs with nicknames. Now you say: "We don't make football a brand!?" HAHAHAHHA. BARCLAYS Premier League. NPOWER League 1 and 2. FLY EMIRATES. GUINESS Rugby Premiership. RED BULL Salzburg. Many clubs sell out stadium names, kit sponsors, stadium stand names, and their own team names to brands in Europe. And you, mate, have the audacity to call me ignorant? Give me a break and never talk to me again until you quit this anti-American sentiment.

• ?

Manchester United

Anything that is not a silly american name like "Jets" or "Yankies" "Blue socks" and what not!

******* annoying to the max!