Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

John 14:1 believe in god believe also in me?

if jesus was god then explain the word ALSO

Favorite Answer

King James Version Bible

2 John Chapter 1

3. Grace be with you, mercy, [and] peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.

Deuteronomy Chapter 18

15. The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

18. I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

Isaiah Chapter 7

14. Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

[Immanuel = God is with us = the Messiah = the Christ]

Isaiah Chapter 9

6. For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Isaiah Chapter 11

1. And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:

Matthew Chapter 1

1. The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

5. And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;

Isaiah Chapter 53

1. Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

3. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5. But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth.

Luke Chapter 9

35. And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

John Chapter 8

42. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

John Chapter 7

16. Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

John Chapter 12

44. Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.

John Chapter 3

16. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John Chapter 14

6. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

1 Timothy Chapter 2

5. For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

John Chapter 8

29. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

John Chapter 14

10. Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

John Chapter 12

49. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

John Chapter 5

23. That all [men] should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

John Chapter 10

30. I and [my] Father are one.

John Chapter 5

39. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

43. I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

44. How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that [cometh] from God only?

45. Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is [one] that accuseth you, [even] Moses, in whom ye trust.

46. For had ye believed MOSES, ye would have believed me: for he WROTE OF ME.

47. But if ye believe not his writings, HOW SHALL YE BELIEVE MY WORDS?

Matthew Chapter 3

17. And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

There is a technicality with the use of the word translated as "also" in the Greek. One problem people find is due to it's use in the English language. There is a certain tendency to devalue what comes after the word "also" in English. But with the Greek it can be cumulative.

G2532

καί

kai

kahee

Apparently a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so, then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words: - and, also, both, but, even, for, if, indeed, likewise, moreover, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yea, yet.

I became aware of this because of something else Jesus said, about the woman who used her most prized possession in apparent waste on him. But Jesus said this:

Matthew 26:13

Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

Thereby raising what the woman did to the level of the Gospel, with the same frequency.

EDIT: So to tie it in to your question (lol), Jesus wasn't denying being God. He was speaking as the servant of God, which was his station, or job, to fulfill what he was supposed to be doing. They could see him there in front of them, and wasn't on a throne yet (to be worshiped as other scriptures show). He was talking as that Perfect Servant revealed in Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53 amongst others.

The use of the word "also" is not in the sense of addition. If you believe in God, then you believe in Jesus Christ, since Jesus is God.

• Linda

Very good reasonable question and the answer is Jesus is NOT God Jesus is the son of God and Jehovah Witnesses have been teaching this from the beginning and giving Bible proof as such as this one. To learn more visit www.watchtower.org or one of our local Kingdom Halls and speak to any Bible teacher there. Look up also Heb 12:2 and many other scriptures that support they are separate.

consumer Herugrim wrote: "the quick answer is that categorical it does coach that God is a triune. in spite of the undeniable fact that the long answer is they gained't ever believe it through fact they have replaced their bible to examine: "For there are 3 witness bearers, the spirit and the water and the blood, and the three are in settlement." (NWT)" that's no longer superb suited. The KJV blasphemously extra the words "in heaven, the daddy, the notice, and the Holy Ghost: and those 3 are one. And there are 3 that bear witness in earth" to a million John 5:7, 8 to help the fake and unsupportable trinity dogma. The NWT renders it properly.

"if jesus was god then explain the word ALSO"

al·so (ôls)

adv.

1. In addition; besides.

2. Likewise; too: "If you will stay, I will also."

conj.

And in addition: "It's a pretty cat, also friendly."

I meet the divine God in the human jeus

Check it in different translations, and the original Hebrew, because it could just be a translation issue, otherwise you have an interesting point.

• anon

it means believe that God and Him are the same

God and Jesus are to seperate individuals. its important to exercise faith in god. its important to exercise faith in Jesus due to the ransom sacrifice he gave for everyone.

It must be a typo!