What part of the US Constitution deals with immigration?

Right now in US History, we are working on a project to help us understand the role the Constitution plays in our everyday lives. We were given nine scenarios and for each, we have to:

-find what part of the Constitution deals with that issue

-summarize why it's a constitutional issue

-research two reliable articles that relate to that issue and summarize how they relate, and

-give our reaction to the constitutional powers used.

(overview of assignment: http://mrsilva.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/livin...

One of the scenarios deals with Alabama's new immigration law:

"The Department of Justice and the Southern Poverty Law Center are among the groups suing the state of Alabama for its new immigration law."

I've already found the two articles, now I need help finding what part of the Constitution is relevant! Any help is much appreciated.

Favorite Answer

14th amendment

• Doug B

Article I, Section 8 gives the Congress sole power "To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;"

Since the Constitution specifies that the Rule of Naturalization be "uniform" that has been used to defeat state laws dealing with the issue.