Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

Flea and tick spray for dogs safe for cats?

We mistakenly used Hartz brand flea and tick spray for DOGS on our cats. I'm really worried. Is this safe? Otherwise how would I get it off? These cats are not declawed and I can't see how I could get them in a bath. Would a wet towel work...?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Give them a bath NOW - in soap and water - not just wiping it off. NEVER use dog products on cats and NEVER use any kind of Hartz products - your dog and cats could end up sick or die. Read this about Hartz.

http://www.hartzvictims.org/

Either give them a bath or risk them dying.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Amanda
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

No it's not safe cats lick themselves clean and they will ingest the chemicals. You need to give them a bath, I suggest a couple of long sleeved shirts and gloves, because a wet towel will not work. You need to get beneath the fur to the skin and the towel will only get the very top layer. You should bath the cats right away before they start grooming themselves. And call a vet to ask about what signs to look for in case they did ingest any. There should be an information number on the back of the package you can also call if vets are closed in your area. Good Luck.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Cat Is Peeing Everywhere http://CatPeeNoMore.enle.info/?ZydX
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Hi there,

We do not recommend using our cat spray on dogs. Our products are specifically made for the intended animal. In order to ensure the safety of your pets, we ask that you call us at 1-800-929-3566 or contact us via email at consumeraffairs@hartz.com. We hope to hear from you soon. Take care.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Just rinse them off, they'll be fine I'm sure. Just try to make sure and hose them off good enough so they won't lick it off themselves. I don't know about that particular spray/repellent, but I know that you can use some that are for dogs (Advantage for example) on cats also but in much smaller doses. so it may be fine. I'm sure it won't kill them though. :)

@ Ladystang-Are you not capable of bathing your own pets? because most people are capable of such amazing things.

• 8 years ago

NO, not safe at all.....bathe or take to a groomer. The vet will bath your cat, too. Do it now.

• 8 years ago

1. fill bathtub with about 10" of water with a little bit of cat shampoo in it.

2. pick up cat.

3. walk into bathroom.

4. throw cat into bathtub.

5. Run.

dog stuff is BAD for cats

• 8 years ago

nope

cats lick themselves and it is a poison

all my cats were trained to have a bath

take to groomer

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

you need to wash it off with detergent now before they start seizuring

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.