Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 9 years ago

Who's heard of The Self Defense Company with Damian Ross?

Does anyone else know of this man or what he teaches? Is he real or another George Dill"hole"man? I noticed Mr. Ross wasn't wearing a gi or a black belt while demonstrating his sh*t though! I believe Mr. Ross trained that shmo Chris Pizzo. Are these guys the same as Tim Larkin, Kelly MCcann, Michael Janich and Jeff Anderson?

• CM77
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I have heard of Ross. He teaches WW2 style hand to hand combat, with some judo mixed in. He is a big proponent of open hand striking, and teaches the concept of Self Offense rather than Self Defense. He also teaches "dirty" street tactics and weapons. A lot of pure traditionalists think his methods and philosophy are garbage, but what he has done is taken the more deadly finishing moves of traditional martial arts, and packaged them into a program. That's exactly what Farbairn did when he created the "Get Tough" system of military combatives. They skipped straight to the deadly stuff, because in the real world, you don't have time to learn from the ground up. I need something that could save my life today. In that regard, I agree with Mr. Ross' philosophy, and those of Larkin and McCann. Janich relies too much on the training methodologies of Silat for my tastes, and Anderson, I feel, is just out to make a buck.

Edit: @ Albert T, for the sake of Information, not arguement or insult:

Is Ross a martial artist? Yes. He has a background in many traditional arts. He was also extensively trained in WW2 combatives and self defense, before the term "reality self defense" became a catchphrase, by the late Carl Cestari, who is a legend in martial arts and self defense in his own right. Is he a good fighter? In a context of sport, I don't know. Because of his martial arts background, I guess he has competed, so he can probably hold his own, in a sporting context. To find out what he could do on the street, someone would have to jump him. Since he makes his living training in this stuff, I think that would be a bad idea. Seeing him in interviews, and watching some of his videos, he seems like he could be an ok human being, but he could also be a complete prick. I'm just interested in what he's teaching.

As far as being an advocate of violence, yes, violence is what he's teaching. Fighting is violent. Some, not all aspects of self defense involve violence, and the efficient use of violence. The Self Defense Co. teaches some of the most efficient ways to hurt other human beings; it's up to us to use the knowledge responsibly. As far as teaching paranoia goes, watch the news. In any major city, the news highlights violent crime and disasters, be they man made or natural. I don't feel that Ross' views spread more or less paranoia than the 5pm news. We have to make up our own minds on how vigilant we want to be. The red haired stepchild of vigilance is paranoia. Mindset is the biggest part of self defense. You have to be proactive and aware, but there needs to be a healthy balance. Not everyone is out to get you, but someone might be. So you need to be ready.

Being a good martial artist, good at a combat sport, or even a good streetfighter, has very little bearing on being able to protect yourself, and being aware and prepared does not make a person a paranoid freak.

As to the effectiveness of his techniques, The edge of hand (chop) has been around forever. Every "reality" self defense course teaches the palm strike. We see elbows, knees, and hammerfists in MMA (and if it works in MMA, it MUST work for real, right?)

Throws and chokes work. He teaches those as well. We can't judge an entire training system on a couple of 5 minute youtube clips. The techniqes themselves are proven. The correct training method is what will make the difference.

1

Source(s): How Defend Yourself http://netint.info/UltimateSelfDefenseGuide

Is a he a martial artist? No. Not at all. The only mindset he teaches is violence, and to live in constant fear and paranoia. I can't attest to if his techniques work or not though, as I've never attended his workshops.

Is he a good fighter? Once again, no idea. However, judging from what I see on the videos, and how his students are trained, I'm guessing not very much. The pregnant woman in the video dealing anemic looking slaps to a guy's chest cannot be considered effective technique under any circumstance. To train people like this and have them rely on your false techniques in life-threatening situations just so you can make some money...

Yeah. No respect for this guy whatsoever. *But* i could just be jumping to false conclusions: after all, besides looking through a few of his products, I've never met him nor have I ever trained with him.

As for the other people you mentioned, Larkin is an idiot, and Anderson is a cashwhore. The others I don't know, sorry.

• risher

The Self Defense Company

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does anyone else know of this man or what he teaches? Is he real or another George Dill"hole"man? I noticed Mr. Ross wasn't wearing a gi or a black belt while demonstrating his sh*t though! I believe Mr. Ross trained that shmo Chris Pizzo. Are these guys the same as Tim Larkin, Kelly...

Source(s): 39 heard defense company damian ross: https://shortly.im/HN35U

Damian Ross