Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 years ago

Can I use mustard paste instead of dry mustard?

I'm gonna make Mac and Cheese and it requires dry mustard. Actually, what is dry mustard? Is it just powdered mustard? If yes, can I powder it at home? If not, can I use mustard paste instead?

Favorite Answer

You CAN... but it will taste different - not bad, but different.

Dry Mustard is ground mustard seeds... PASTE (or prepared) mustard is made for the most part by taking Dry mustard and mixing it with water, salt, and liquid like lemon juice, vinegar or wine.

Making powdered mustard at home would require mustard seeds and a mortar / pestle... you can NOT make it from prepared mustard.

Dried mustard is simply mustard "paste" without the vinegar.

Go ahead and use it, just be aware of the difference in taste. IYou could also substitute in a little cayenne instead.

You can use the mustard in the dry form. If you use the mustard in the form of paste the smell and taste of mustard will not be there in the food. So the mustard should be used as dry mustard only..................................

Put the normal mustard outside in the sun for 7 days.

Yes you can but the flavor will not be the same.......You would be better off leaving it out all together...