Why do people hate Pope Benedict XVI?

He's a good person, why do people hate him?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's no surprise the Pope is the physical icon of Christianity, so he would be hated. Sure there has been issues with the Catholic Church in the past with various other groups of Christians such as the Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans, and so forth, but that is not the only reason why he is hated. Another factor is that the Catholic Church is the only visible Church in the entire world. You don't hear any hatred directed towards Orthodox, or Lutherans, or Anglicans, etc. etc. that's because they are not visible in the eyes of the public.

The thing that bothers most people is the fact that the Catholic Church is very secretive. This of course leads to conspiracies and scandals, but there is a reason why it's secretive because the Catholic Church believes in confidentiality (hurting the reputations of others is scandal which is in itself a sin). And confession your sins to a Bishop or Priest is done so in confidence that it will remain a secret. People don't like secrets.

And consider this the Catholic Church is very political, the Vatican City is itself a nation headed by the Pope according to Non-christians the head of all Christianity in the world. Do you know how many Kings/Queens, Emperors/Empresses, and Presidents of other nations confided with the Pope? So literally in the eyes of the world if the Pope says or does something he is representing all of Christianity in the world. It doesn't even matter if your Orthodox, or Protestant, or whatever type of Christian you call yourself.

• 9 years ago

Popes are not infallible. No one is. And the Pope is never to judge any religion. During the Regensburg lecture he said:

"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only bad and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

Aren't the Pontiffs suppose to honour every religion and every nation according to their paths?

• 9 years ago

I might not agree on the birth control issue but that is no reason to dislike a Pope.

As a cardinal he was involved in the sex abuse cover up. The victims mind you were Catholic.

Benedict XVI is no John Paul II.

• 9 years ago

I don't know if people hate him or what he represents. As head of the Catholic Church, he is anathema to many of the fundamentalist religion followers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mark
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Partly it's in comparison to the previous Pope, who was well-liked.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

to those who bring up the, he was german soldier , he was actually spied upon by the german 'stasi .' intelligence even before he became a cardinal , this is well documented .

it does not who becomes a pope , there will always be those who will hate him , jesus went through the same trials

• A lot of people are turned off by his promotion of the immoral anti-gay agenda. But I don't hate him, I love him, it's his homophobia I hate. (Love the sinner, hate the sin!)

• 9 years ago

He hates condoms and love children

• 9 years ago

Because they are hurting. Maybe not by him personally, but hurting nonetheless. He can take it, don't worry.

• e w
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Let's see.........former Hitler Youth, which is bad enough in itself.

Continuing to ignore the abuse of children by his priests is beneath contempt.

Good person? Not by my standards. He's evil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.