Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCommunity Service · 9 years ago

What kind of things can high schoolers do at Volunteer Firedepartments?

I am a multisport athlete. During the fall i have football everyday after school until 6. And lacrosse on sunday mornings. In the spring i have lacrosse everyday after school until 6. Can i do anything at my local volunteer firedepartment? I realize that being trained for a first responder is very unlikely because of my commitments. I will contact them soon but i would like to see if anyone can help me out with info. Thanks

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Most counties in most states offer a Junior Firefighter program, The program varies from area to area. They offer basic CPR? first aid training, and emergency response training. How to set up for disaster casulties. They teach you wildfire protocol. And a great headstart for preparing/ training to become a firefighter when of age. Just google your local city, state and junior firefighter or National Junior Firefighters ***. There are scholorship programs offered too. Here is a copy/paste section from the NVJFA. But much better for you to just search and print important details.

Goodluck and Best of Wishes!!

>

Featured Junior Firefighter Program

Pleasant Hill Fire Protection District

We teach the Junior Members of the Department the importance of discipline, respect, courtesy, and self-esteem to better prepare them for a life in th

More>>

Junior Firefighter Program News

New Incentive Reward: Hoodies

The National Volunteer Fire Council’s (NVFC) National Junior Firefighter Program is excited to announce a new incentive reward level. At 750 volunteer hours, registered junior firefighters and Explorers who are NVFC Junior Members will receive a National Junior Firefighter Program hoodie. The new incentive reward level was made possible by Tyco International (www.tyco.com). more>>

Scholarship Opportunities Available from Columbia Southern University

Columbia Southern University (CSU), one of the nation’s first completely online universities, has scholarship opportunities available for junior and adult members of the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC).

more>>

National Junior Firefighter Academy at Firehouse Expo a Great Success

The National Volunteer Fire Council’s (NVFC) National Junior Firefighter Program, in partnership with Spartan Motors, Inc., California Casualty, and Firehouse Expo, presented the second annual National Junior Firefighter Academy on July 23 as part of Firehouse Expo in Baltimore, MD. The Academy, which was held from 9am-12pm, consisted of two sessions that ran concurrently - one for junior firefighters and one for advisors. The event built on a successful inaugural Academy held in July 2010 at Firehouse Expo.

Kohl’s Kids Who Care® Scholarship Program

Best Buy® @15 Scholarship Program

Cumberland Valley Volunteer Firemen's Association

Kenneth E. Butts Memorial Scholarship J.R. Haines Memorial Scholarship

International Association of Fire Fighters

W.H. "Howie" McClennan Scholarship (Must be a child of a firefighter who died in the line of duty.)

International Association of Fire Chiefs Foundation

Explorer Scholarships

National Fire Protection Association

David B. Gratz Scholarship John L. Jablonsky Scholarship George D. Miller Scholarship Arthur E. Cote Scholarship Other Scholarships

Society of Fire Protection Engineers

Atlanta Chapter Canada National Capital Region Chapter Dallas-Fort Worth Chapter Hawaii Chapter Michigan Chapter New England ChapterNorthern California/Nevada Chapter

Pacific Northwest Chapter Philadelphia-Delaware Valley Chapter St. Louis Chapter Tennessee Valley Chapter

International Association of Arson Investigators

John Charles Wilson Scholarship

Maryland Higher Education Commission

Charles W. Riley Fire and Emergency Medical Services Tuition Reimbursement Program

Yvorra Leadership Development Foundation

YLD Scholarship

The Ocean City Volunteer Fire Company

F. Michael Sacca Scholarship

Point Pleasant Fire Protection District

F.I.R.E. Program (Must be a resident of Northern Kentucky)

Portland Community College

W.H. Cravens Fire Science Albert E. Jones Memorial Frank McVitty, Jr. Fire Fighters Women and Ethnic Minorities in Fire Science

Seneca College

Fire Protection Programs Bursaries S.I. Allen Scholarship Fire Protection Engineering Technician Scholarships

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.