I want to buy a 1TB external disk. Should I get HDD or SSD?

I have my PC and it has a 640GB HDD. I want to get a back-up drive so I can store my files and documents. I think it's good to go with a +500GB disk. Should I get HDD or SSD? And which one is faster in reading/writing data? Are SSDs more expensive? And what is a good brand/model? Thanks

Favorite Answer

SSD are much more expensive than conventional HDD. (about 10 times more expensive)

Also, finding a 1TB SSD would be quite difficult (as it is a new technology); a 512MB SSD could cost somewhere around ~$800USD currently.

Before jumping on the SSD bandwagon, you should consider whether or not you would see any benefits at all:

SSD boasts a data read/write speed of 6GB/s, but the data transfer rate of USB2.0 caps at 480Mbit/s, while USB3.0 has a maximum transfer rate of 5Gbit/s.

If your computer does not have a USB3.0 port on your computer, having a SSD external drive is pointless since you won't see much increase in data reading/writing speed.

A similar situation with internal SSD, you'll need SATA 3 to get full benefits out of a SSD.

SSDs are, to use a technical term, a hell of a lot more expensive. As in, $1000 more for a 1TB SSD.

My recommendation is save the hassle and get a 2TB external HDD, for probably only as much as $200 max.

Source(s): Personal knowledge+ experience

SSD +

* High transfer data rate (read and write)

* high durability (no mechanical spin)

SSD -

* very Expensive

External Hdd +

* cheap price

External Hdd -

* lower data transfer rate

* fragile due the sock, dust and water

and for external hard drive it's good to use Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 with main feature : Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility,Up to 3x faster transfer rates with USB 3.0, Automatic, continuous backupHardware encryption, password protection

ssd is faster and more expensive . they are extremely expensive . you can check the link below . for hdd , 1t isn't expensive at all . you can get one for around $ 100. wd would be a good brand .

http://www.pcworld.com/article/169551/1tb_ssd_driv...

SSD is by far faster and more efficient but it is also much more expensive. It is the better choice if you can afford it.

• cosio

variety for specific. pass with Western digital or Seagate. It relies upon on what you're doing with it besides. while you're doing video enhancing and choose it to be rapid get one with FireWire.