promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 9 years ago

What made possible the increased height of Gothic cathedrals?

A. the domed ceiling

B. the ribbed vault

C. rounded arch

D. the pointed arch

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ANGELA
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

B. the ribbed vault

Look what I found on the net:

Sources of architectural influence:

The new Gothic architecture in France had its roots in older Romanesque forms of England, Italy, and Normandy. The origin of the Gothic style has a strong Norman influence in the cathedrals of Jumièges, Evreux, and Lesay, which inspired several architects in the Paris region. By the late 11th century, there had already been efforts to increase the height of Norman churches at Caen, Bayeux, Jumièges, or Mont-Saint-Michel.

By the early 12th century, prototypes of ribbed vaults and pointed arches had developed at the Rivolta d'Adda in Italy (1100), Durham cathedral in England (1093), and Jumièges in Normandy (ca.1120-1125). Some scholars also suggest that the ribbed vault may have first appeared at the Church of Sant' Ambrogio in Milan (1060). As noted, ribbed vaulting may have originated in Islamic Spain, where it had appeared as early as the second half of the 10th century (Bony 1983).

Read more: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cac...

I hope I've helped you,

Angela!!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Stacy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Goths is a modern day fad. Gothic is an architectural style that was popular in the middle ages. Visigoths were tribal barbarians from Norway who plundered pillaged and raped wherever they went. None of these "goths" have anything to do with each other.

• Neil
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I believe it was the ribbed vault (B). It is a surprisingly light structure.

• d
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

none of the above

increased height by use of flying buttress

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.