What is the point of the Old Testament?

If Jesus pretty much makes it nil and void?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201109...

(Reference Joanne Smiths answer)

Just want to add that having Old Testament in the title- Y/A wanted to categorize this as Mythology and Folklore... lol

Thank you to the Christians that are making a good attempt to help me to understand without being abusive. I would consider you true Christians.

Best Answer

Jesus didnt make it nil and void.

Jesus didnt change the doctrines and beliefs taught in the Old Testament. He just elevated how we were to live the gospel to a higher level where there was a bit more personal responsibility for us to individually gain a correct understanding for why we follow specific rules and laws and how that brings us to a higher spiritual understanding.

• ?

Anyone who believes the Torah is null and void is deceived to the max. Yeshua came to put an end to the sacrifices because He was the final sacrifice. That only made null and void those laws pertaining to the temple and the levites.

The following verse makes it loud and clear. It's in the Renewed Testament by the way:

John 14:15 (written in red) “If you love Me, you will keep my commandments.”

Anyone who doesn't follow His Word is obviously not His child. That includes about 99% of all the so-called christians that worship with Rome on SUNday in their pagan palaces.

wrong

Are you really this ignorant?

Where does the Bible say this BS:

"If Jesus pretty much makes it nil and void?"

Those who follow Jesus do not need to follow the OT laws, as seen here:

Matthew 5:17 (New International Version)

The Fulfillment of the Law

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

New International Version (NIV)

In the Life, death, & ressurection of Christ, Jesus fulfilled EVERY SINGLE OT law-from the smallest to the biggest.

We don't even have to observe the Sabbath, because Jesus told us this:

Mark 2:28 (New International Version)

28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Jesus IS the Sabbath!

In the OT you had to do THINGS to please God. In the NT, all you have

In the NT, all you have to do is follow Christ!

Things will not save you!

Jesus Himself says this:

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

He DOESN'T say:

.........."through me PLUS obeying the Sabbath!

.......through me, PLUS following the OT laws

He says THROUGH ME.

Period!

So all you non believers & atheists, quit showing your ignorance about what Scripture REALLY teaches, when it clearly says that we only need to follow Christ Jesus & Him Alone!

And for those who say that this belief is from the Bronze or Iron Age, you are just showing your ignorance.

The Bronze Age was from 1200-3300 BC!

The Iron Age was from 900-1300 BC

Well before the time of Christ & His teachings!

Why all the thumbs down?

Can't face the truth that I am right, can you!

The point of the old testament is to under the new testament the old testament is about Jesus he said that in the gospels . The lord in the old testament is Jesus.

The written law and commands before Jesus and a proven historical timeline from creation to the birth of Jesus of Nazareth!

It was the old Jews best attempt at explaining things which they could not comprehend. I'll give them credit, the stories are really cool but they don't make any sense in the 21st century.

The old testament testifies and prophecies about Jesus.

SHows how petty and stupid the concept of a god can be, sadly it was replaced by paulism

we learn and teach from the old testament

The point of the OT is to show what GOD is really like. (not very nice)