Zforce asked in TravelAir Travel · 9 years ago

Do airplane galleys have microwaves?

If I were to bring a steak dinner with mashed potatos or pasta on the plane, and not eat it till they come with the beverages, can the flight attendant heat it up for me?

Favorite Answer

No, they don't have. Kitchens on airplanes - the "galleys" - work with a different construction to heat up food as the microwaves could potentially disturb the planes systems.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh! I have only ever had one person ask me that over the years.

1. No, the flight attendants cannot and will not heat up your meal for you.

2. There are no microwave ovens on aircraft for the reasons stated by the other posters.

3. Many airlines do not offer hot meals, and if they do, the ovens are configured to contain the specific containers for food that they use.

5. If there are ovens, space is constrained and there is room only for the meals that are catered and usually these have to be heated a few at a time.

4. There are legal and health reasons why the cabin crew will not be willing to take your food out of your sight and do anything with it.

PS, despite what you think, the flight attendants are there for your safety and security, to to take care of your nutritional needs. Most of us have never worked in the food industry and serving meals is not our main function.

Source(s): flight attendant

While it is possible to equip an airplane with a microwave if it is approved for aviation use, most airplanes with ovens have conventional convection ovens. They are usually powerful and can heat food very quickly. It's unlikely that a flight attendant would be allowed to heat up food for passengers, though—there are too many legal risks and logistic problems with that.

• They do not have microwaves on airplanes as far as I know, because passengers actually can see the galley, I have not seen a microwave, ever.

Maybe some do, but airlines use convection ovens to heat airline meals. It's also not something most airlines will not do, think what would happen if large numbers of passengers brought their own meals to be reheated. Not only would it take too much time, they would lose huge amounts of revenue on flights where they sell meals.

That sounds like a lot of unnecessary work for a microwaved steak.