Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 10 years ago

What police department should I work for?

I'm deciding between the NYPD and the metro pd of the district of columbia.

I'm applying for colleges now and I KNOW I want to be a cop, so I want to apply to colleges in or near the city where I would work (assuming I even got into their academy) to get a feel for the city and learn how to get around. So can you answer these questions for each:

-Salary: which is better? (assuming DC)

-Which one will look better if I decided to switch to a federal agency such as the FBI or a military investigative service.

-Who's going to take care of me? (As in fresh equipment, less people being fired, etc.)

-Whats the work hours like? Is it blank days on and blank days off or do you work every day For a shorter amount of time?

This question is specifically for DC:

Is it complicated working in a city with so many high profile political figures, and all the other federal agencies like The secret service, FBI headquarters, a naval base, etc?

Favorite Answer

1) Salary is not always an issue as one salary is higher, so is the cost of living index in that city.

2) Any Academy you pass as a POST graduate will show a goal reached and able to do again.

3) All departments have budget cuts, who will take care of you, the city government that will fight for you.

4) So many different works schedules to see. (Day swing evening shift 8 hours each shift, 10 plan 10 / w 3 off; 12 hour days 2 on 2 off; A-B-C schedule. working 4 days 2 off, everyone has a weekend off a month.Days rotate as 4 on 2 off and then 4 on 2 off so always a day you back drop)

1. start DC over time goth about the same when you consider cost of living

2. neither, If you get into an investigative position that looks good.

3.DC gets lots of stuff but NYPD is much much larger. Nether buy you new personal equipment. you buy your own and get a very good yearly allowance from both.

4.That actually has changed back and forth and with different units in the last few years for both.

For patrol NYPD still is mostly, but not all, using a watch/platoon system. 8.5 hrs on rotating days off. Work 6 off 2 until weekends come around then off 3 with 5 work in between. DC 10 hr work 4 off 3 which causes a rotation in days off a lot.

DC and NYPD both share problems with lots of overlapping jurisdiction and lots of big honchos all the time.

DC all have to think about it all the time, NYPD it depends n where you work.

If these are your criteria for picking a department, well you really should not be a cop.

Criteria like yours change. What you really need to look at is what the traditions and attitudes of the department.

Are they proactive? do the people of the community support the police? does the political infrastructure support the individual cop? and on and on.

Your looking at short term stuff like pay. You simply either cannot think clearly and critically enough to be a good cop or you have the wrong goals to actually end u dong the suffering needed to be a good cop and serve a community.

Source(s): you can look at troll mr. cool's source. It is taken from my old Y!A profile page
  • ?

Both agencies are poor choices.

You don't 'switch' to a federal agency. You have to go through the complete application process, and there is no guarantee you'll ever get hired. Right now there is a hiring freeze.

Neither of the agencies you listed would be beneficial in your future applications.

You can work for either so long as you meet the job criteria.

Good luck to you!

dont be in any of them

NYPD

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration....