How long does a landlord have before cashing a rent check?

I may just be totally wrong and out of luck but I'm going to ask anyways. We are having this problem where we write a rent check to the agency that leases the homes we are staying in. Every now and then they will not cash the check until much later the first time it took them a month to cash it and we got hit... show more I may just be totally wrong and out of luck but I'm going to ask anyways. We are having this problem where we write a rent check to the agency that leases the homes we are staying in. Every now and then they will not cash the check until much later the first time it took them a month to cash it and we got hit with 2 rent payments at one time. This time we are waiting for them to take out from the check we wrote last month and they already have a check for this month. Our problem is when we write a check we expect it to be taken out at least 2 weeks after that and end up seeing money that we don't have which we use to pay other bills, putting us under and pending hot checks never knowing when they might be cashed. I know I should be taking more responsibility and watching my money closer, and we have learned our lesson and will be paying by money order now. I just feel like its not right that they can hold onto checks for 2 months and just say o were gonna take 2 months of rent out of your account now. Please no rude comments and again I realize my mistake. I guess I am asking for advice.
Update: Trust me a lot of horrible things can go wrong in a month. I had every intention of honoring my check when I wrote them.
3 answers 3