? asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 10 years ago

Why did the ballet dancer pick up the mask at the end of Phantom of the Opera?

I don't exactly remember which girl it was... but I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about.

My question is why did she do it- or why do you think she did it. Do you think that it means Gaston Leroux intended a sequel but never wrote it? What did it mean?

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

This was not how GASTON LEROUX ended the novel- thats how Andrew Lloyd Weber ended the musical. THE REAL END:

"Go to the Opera."

And the cab drove off into the night.

The Persian had seen the poor, unfortunate Erik for the last time. Three weeks later, the Epoque published this advertisement:

"Erik is dead." (Erik is the name of the Phantom in the Leroux book.)

To answer your question- according to ALW's second musical sequel to POTO: Love Never Dies, Perhaps her picking up the mask in accordance to this sequel was an allusion to her falling in love with the Phantom. Yes. She falls in love with the Phantom in LND. It's sacrilege!

If you take out the second musical- I think the meaning could be that she in wondering about the fate of such a legendary character that was proven to be just a man in reality.

• ?

I think it's just a symbol. Even though the phantom of the opera is gone, his spirit will always be there. As long as there is some memory of him, he hasn't truly left

it was meg

it was just a thing it met nothing relay just that he escaped

and they did make a sequel look up love never dies or the phantom of Manhattan