Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 9 years ago

What can men have that give women bacterial infections?

I have bacterial infections constantly! Metronidizole doesn't really work anymore, so now I've resorted to putting yogurt in my vagina and taking acidopholis and the infection goes away within 1-2 days! But EVERYTIME I have intercourse with my husband it comes back within a 1-2 days! He has been checked for chlamydia and gonnerhea and they were negative. But something is definately wrong. Ive heard that you can be "allergic" to your partner and that seems like that is what it is! I've read things about the acidic levels being off balance but is that me or him?It seems that its him and what could he have that would do that! I've been going thru this for 13 years now and the doctors haven't come up with anything except antibiotics but there has to be an underlying problem! I had a hysterectomy and thought that it might help afterwards and it didn't affect anything and is probably why I needed the hysterectomy to begin with! Please help! Ive tried everywhere and haven't come up with whats causing it or any solutions! If anyone knows of any, PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

• Q
    Favorite Answer

Hmmm. Something strange here: bacterial infections are caused by bacteria, and treated only with antibiotics, which kill the bacteria. You can get it from a man you have sex with in particular if the guy is uncircumcised and doesn't clean underneath the foreskin, as that can become a fertile breeding ground for bacteria. They recommend that women and men shower before sex so any superficial bacteria are washed away, and that women pee after sex and shower, to wash away bacteria afterwards. It could also be that you have the bacteria and the pills aren't fixing you because the bacteria has immunity after all this time.

HOWEVER, yogurt and acidophilus do NOTHING to treat or discourage bacteria. Nothing. They are treatment for YEAST infections. Yeast is a fungus, not a bacteria. So which is it that you keep getting-- a fungal or a bacterial infection? Metronidizole is an antibiotic that treats bacterial infections, not yeast infections.

You CAN also get a yeast infection from your guy--again, it flourishes underneath the foreskin and he'd have to be treated for it to make it go away.

You need to find which you have, because that makes a difference in how to treat it. I think it's likely you've had both types of infection, one after the other, and the treatment for one is causing the other. See, complicating matters is that taking an antibiotic CAUSES yeast infections. It's perfectly normal to get a yeast infection after taking metronidizole. What is happening is that both bacteria and yeast live in your vagina. When you kill off all the bacteria with an antibiotic, the yeast, which has been kept in low numbers by the presence of bacteria, grows wild and then you get a yeast infection. The symptoms of yeast and bacterial infections are different. So what's going on here? Are you getting bacterial infections and taking metronidizole, then getting yeast infections and using acidophilus and yogurt, which sort of makes the yeast infection go away, but not completely? You need to find out exactly what you have. You need to treat yeast infections with a pill (like fluconazole), which will make it go away completely, not just make the symptoms go away for awhile then come back when the colony of yeast recovers.

And I recommend you have sex with condoms for a little while. This will help you to determine if it's something your husband has that is causing the problem, or something you have that is not being cured.

Any penis does this or only your husbands penis? not to be crude but you may want to experiment with some different types of condoms and maybe even some different penises if you never have and truly want to troubleshoot the problem. Just be sure to only change one variable at a time.

After? No. During, YES!