reepoo asked in SportsWater Sports · 9 years ago

Can I use a windsurfing board as a stand up paddle board?

If so, where I can buy a inexpensive but good quality paddle on the internet?

Thanks

• Chad
    Favorite Answer

You can do it but it's not going to perform the best and it will be really slow with almost no glide. If you are just figuring out if it's something you really want to do you can give it a whirl but it will be much better on a real SUP.

The biggest difference is that the sailboards have aggressive rockers compared to a SUP so that they get out of the hole and on plane. Stand up paddleboards have flat rockers giving them more glide because you never really get on plane for long.

The best value for the buck is the BIC ACS. It's made of the same stuff as your credit cards and it can take a real good whack, just think of the torture a credit card goes through and you'll realize how tough it is. They are also over the magic number of 30 inches wide so they are very stable.

http://www.the-house.com/bcassup104sb11zz-bic-surf...

If you find something on the web for less than that check into what kind of construction it is and how wide it is. You want some thing over 30" and made of ACS or (fiberglass sometimes it'll say classic surf construction which is the fiberglass over foam.) Watch out for boards that say fabric coated or inflatable, they will make you miserable.

Give me a call at 1-800-992-7245 and I'll get you hooked up on the right gear for you.

Source(s): 22 years on the water, Sailboard and SUP sails