Want to buy Kinder Surprise eggs in USA but heard they're illegal. Why? Don't want to sell them, just buy 'em?

Hello! I lived in Italy for a summer and fell in love with Kinder Surprise eggs. It's a hollow chocolate egg with a toy on the inside. I've been looking for them in America, but haven't been able to find them anywhere. I looked online, but the company said they're illegal in America. Does anyone know why? Is it because kids could choke on the toys? In any case, my kids aren't so small (5 & 8), so my real question is where can I buy them? I don't want to sell them, I just want them for me and my kids. Is there any place I can buy Kinder Surprise in the USA? Is it illegal to buy them or just illegal to sell them? What I mean is if I can't buy them here, can I order them from Europe and have them shipped here? Thank you!

• ceece
    Favorite Answer

You may not purchase any Kinder Surprise eggs in the USA because the USDA law from 1938 states ' nothing embedded into nutritive items for consumption can be sold/ or brought into the USA".The answer is no to all your questions.

As Ceece says: the point is toys are "embedded" inside the eggs, and that's illegal in the US. The preposterous part of this story is you can legally put the same toy into a cereal box...

As you may have realized, Kinder Surprise are actually safer, considering the yellow container inside the eggs can't actually be opened by a very young child. But if parents don't control what they give to their own children, don't even read the multiple multiple written warnings, and a tragedy happend, the company is blamed.

Edit

Sahra, I didn't know about Choco Treasure, but if they're legal, then I think Ferrero (and Kinder Surprise fans) would have something to say, since if the only issue really is small parts choking hazard Ferrero would not have any problem in making one-piece bigger toys expressly designed for US market: toys in Europe are often yet different according to each Country.

If you want to buy Kinder Suprise eggs, you can try here: https://bestprice.im/kinder-surprise-eggs/

They're illegal because they contain something that's not edible inside something that is. The USA is the only country that has this ban. You might be able to find them at random ethic grocery stores but even if you can find them, they're usually pretty expensive. Best and easiest option is to get the ones from that page I linked to above since those are actually legal.

Surprise Eggs For Sale

I was looking for Kinder Surprise as well, did some research and found they are, in fact, illegal in the US because of FDA and also Consumer Product Safety Commission regulations for small parts (choking hazard). There is one legal Kinder Surprise type product (i.e. a chocolate egg with a toy inside) legal in America - something called "Choco Treasure", which my child really liked. I got it at CVS last Easter and have been keeping my eyes out for it since it is apparently not yet available on their website www.chocotreasure.com.

Source(s): www.chocotreasure.com
  • HJW

Kinder surprise have been banned in the USA. Buy or sell are illegal.

Canada still sells the kinder now the trick would be to get them in the USA, they can be confiscated.

http://www.canada.com/life/Kinder+Surprises+Banned...

You could try to get them from Europe but the rule of confiscating applies again.

Same as Kinder eggs:

http://amzn.to/1DdpArR

Are they still Illegal as I am seeing them sold on Ebay and Amazon.com

I like e in san Diego and I fInd them at the stores I know various stores that sell them

• Rdn5 years agoReport

what store in san diego sell kinder egg

I found them in Palo Alto at this Mexican market. In April 2016 not sure if they still have them.