Are today's talk show hosts as good as Johnny Carson was?

I'm not a big fan of the Chelsey Lately show.

Favorite Answer

Johnny Carson was cut from the same mold as Red Skelton. Both of these men could make you laugh without even saying a word. Sometimes the use of a stage prop or just the expressions on their faces were enough to do the trick. Few today's comedians / commediennes haven't so much as a clue as to how such an art is applied or mastered. Also, men like Carson and Skelton stuck with good, clean, family oriented material. Today's comedy is so unbelievably full of filth, that I don't even bother to watch or listen to any of it. As far as I'm concerrned, the younger generation can have it, if that's what they like. Pardon the pun, but comedy has become a complete ' joke ' !

• jonds

I never understood the Johnny Carson thing, just never found him to be that entertaining. I like Chelsey Lately and John Stewart's Daily Show.

I wasn't really a fan of Johnny Carson. I liked Jack Paar or Dick Cavett. I was also a big fan of Steve Allen on the Tonight Show.

• ?

Today shows are rather a product of teamwork and technology in this sense Carson as a multitalent would beat them. Today's hosts have a differnt profile and have to know other things, but there are still some good ones.

Johnny Carson wasn't a talk show host.

He was the conductor of an entertainment show.

He put his guests at ease and asked questions

that made them look good.

• Chris

My first thought was no, and then I remembered Jimmy Fallon. Don't know if you've seen him as he's on after Jay Leno. One of the things I really liked about Johnny was that he looked like he was really enjoying himself - like the laughing was genuine. I see that with Jimmy too. There's also a "we are laughing about this together" rather than a "I'm laughing at you." His jokes aren't caustic, they are not made at the expense of others.

Carson was kind of "milk toast" and non controversial. He was boring. Some of his guests saved the show. Letterman has lost his edge since he started he night show routine. Leno' s still about the same. We need some people like Bill Maher. Wake up the audience and make them think. All Carson did was put us to sleep.

• gale

No, none of them are as open as Johnny was. In fact, I loved it when Carson turned red when embarrassed. Johnny, did not have to be nasty with his monologue as he was truly entertaining.

He was very different and we were fortunate to have the years of laughs he provided with his self made characters.

Yes. David Letterman, Jon Stewart, Jimmy Kimmel, to name a few. Johnny was funny and SMART, which made him so good. These guys are similar in that way, though of course none of them have that "naughty boy" innocence about them like he did.

Source(s): s
  • Dinah

I think Letterman is a complete fool most of the time. He makes me smirk in agreement. When he's corrected for throwing sarcasm and blushes and apologizes, is as endearing to me as when he survived the emergency heart surgery and brought every doctor and nurse onstage to genuinely thank publicly, or showed the shot of his newborn boy.