Anonymous

Should I stay at Rice, for prestige and honor, or transfer to HBU, to study Education?

I'm studying at Rice University at Houston. My family moved with me, and we bought a house very close to Rice. However, even though it's considered a very honorable University and my parents are very proud of me... I sometimes feel empty.

I want to be a Teacher. And I was planning to study English at Rice and then do a Teacher Certification to teach it. However, I know that I'll never teach Elementary School kids College English and I'm kinda hesitant to spend 4 years of my life studying something that isn't my passion. my passion is teaching.

In Houston Baptist University they have the Education major and I fell in love with the courses I saw on the program! but it's a difficult decision because it doesn't give me the prestige, the honor, of being in one of the best Universities of America and well.. I live next door to Rice.

HBU is also Baptist, and I'm Catholic. It's not exclusive though, I can get in and everything.

What should I choose?

Best Answer

Dear A. Valentina,

My name is Giovanna and I am currently a student with HBU. I am completing my Student Teaching Internship and will graduate with a BA in English Education this December. A friend noticed your post and thought I may be able to help.

I too believe teaching is a call, a mission. It took me several years to decide to accept the call. When I was ready, HBU welcomed me with open arms. As an HBU student, I have had a GREAT experience with HBU School of Education. The professors are caring, experienced, and knowledgeable. Each have had years of classroom and adminstrative experience prior to becoming professor. The classes are small and each semester there are observation hours required in a real classroom, so you may see your coursework in action.

The HBU Teacher Certification program is highly respected and has a relationship with many of the metropolitan Houston area school districts including HISD, Alief ISD, Fort Bend ISD, and Katy ISD. Each year, HBU School of Education invites representatives from the school district (Administrators, HR representatives, and principals) to hear about our program and provide feedback on what skills are required of a first-year teacher. Due to their feedback, upon graduation most (if not all) of my fellow students were offered full-time teaching positions.

Students of all faiths attend HBU and are successful. There is an undergraduate requirement of completing Christianity courses, but they are survey courses (an overview). Just hitting the high points. Many of my friends are of other Christian denominations and faiths (Muslim, Hindi, et al) and have not experienced a conflict with their faith or values (They just didn't like the requirement... LOL!).

I would reccommend that you contact the Admissions office and schedule a campus visit. If you express your desire to transfer and enter the HBU education program, they will coordinate with the School of Education and set up an advising appointment with one of the professors. They welcome questions from prospective students and I am sure will be able to allay many of your concerns.

I would not be completly honest if I did not tell you that the program is rigorous,time consuming, and HBU cost a little less than Rice (but not much). Depending upon how many courses you have completed at Rice and pending university admission, there is an additional application process to be considered for the Teacher Certification program. Student Teaching (last semester, senior year) is non-paid and you are in the classroom everyday, all day like a regular classroom teacher. It has been a sacrifice, but I have found the experience to be INVALUABLE. My cooperating teacher is a good leader,while providing opportunities for me to lead the class and receive constructive feedback. Less pressure than being in the classroom alone.

Also, the state of Texas governs teacher certification regardless of the university you choose to attend or program you choose (traditional or ACP - Alternative Certification Program). English is generally only offered as a single subject class (middle school - 4th to 8th grade OR high school - 8th to 12th grade). In addition to completing the degree requirements, there are two additional state exams for condsideration of full certification and job eligibility. Visit the TEA (Texas Education Agency) website for more information.

There are many different roads to becoming a classroom teacher. I believe you will be able to make an informed decision if you continue to trust in God and receive some additional information. I highly reccommend contacting the HBU Admissions www.hbu.edu/sign/ to begin the process. I hope this information was helpful and wish you the best as you as you make this important career and life decision.

Blessings, Giovanna

Source(s): www.hbu.edu/sign/

I am a recent graduate from HBU, c/o 2008. I do not have an education degree, but I am an educator now. While I can not tell you what decision you should make, I can only offer you some advice.

You seemed to be concerned with "prestige and honor" of attending Rice. While it may be a great school, it seems to me, that it isn't the school for you. Harvard is a great school and I have always wanted to attend Harvard; however, I know it's not the school for me. You mentioned that you were Catholic; HBU has so many international students you would feel at home. I love HBU. I was a commuter student and I know I missed out on some things, but I still felt like I belonged to the HBU family.

As an educator, let me give you some advice on "prestige and honor." You do not go into the education field for "prestige and honor." If it was a prestigious field, we wouldn't need so many quality educators and we would probably get paid more. You go into education because deep down you want to help the young people of this country. You go into education because you want to mold the future generations. You go into education because the future of America is in your classroom 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. We do not have the "prestige and honor" that doctors, lawyers, or politicians do, but we don't need it. Teacher has it's own set of rewards. I had a student who got into trouble quite frequently. The student had never passed a state examine. I made a promise to that student. I told that student that I promised I would teach him everything he needed to know to pass our state test, but they had to promise to listen and try their best. Results came in, and he passed. The look on his face was my reward for teaching.

When your students come to you with a problem, what would you tell them to do? Follow their heart or continue to feel empty? You have to do what makes you happy. If anything, schedule a tour of the campus with your parents. Talk to your parents and tell them how you feel. Unfortunately I can not tell you what your parents are going to say, but I do know that 10 years from now, if you don't follow your heart you will regret it.

If HBU offers the classes and the degree program you want, then what are you waiting for? Teachers with an education degree have the upper hand to those who are alternatively certified. HBU will provide a quality, hands-on education that you will not get elsewhere. You will get relationship over being a number.

As an educator, I encourage my students to follow their hearts. I encourage them to find a field that will make them happy. What are you going to tell your students?

• punch

Hbu Admissions

The Faculty of the School of Education read your post today in our meeting. Here are some of the responses they would like to offer to you:

Doing what will ultimately make you happy - what will fulfill your passion - this is what you should be doing with your life.

A prestigious name on your diploma won't make you happy day after day. Doing what your heart dreams about will.

We have a wonderful teacher preparation program here. What's important is that you learn how to become a qualified and competent teacher who can pass on to children the essential knowledge and skills that they need to be successful in the world.

Most of the faculty in our school are not Baptist, most of the students at the university are not Baptist. We have many, many Catholics who are members of our university family.

Why don't you at least plan a visit to Houston Baptist University and meet with some of our faculty to talk about your options? We would love to talk with you more.

D.R. Wilson

Acting Dean

The School of Education

Houston Baptist University

drwilson@hbu.edu

Teaching has a very high burn-out rate.

Rice is such a elite, career "game-changer" college, that if you're in you should stay in and finish a degree. You can always take a Master's for teaching.

Honey, I turned down William&Mary and Davidson and MIT (too expensive) because the school I wanted to go was perfect for me! It still is and I love it!

THe prestige thing is always impressive but a degree is a degree and you might as well enjoy getting it!

• Julie

I've got no stats, but 3 families I know use the private religious schools. They all report smaller class sizes & the ratio of students to services was much more favourable than they had found in public school. Now, one of the 3, is having issues with English & the kids as it's not the primary language in their school, but apparently the school is adapting to solve this issue.

if you're sure that you want to be a teacher, then go to hbu. there's no point in staying at a university where you feel miserable. i think you do better if you go to a place that you like.