Hi! If you are an American solider in Iraq or Afghanistan, what do you think of the following case?
US solider involved in the rape and murder of a 14 year old girl and the killing of her mother, father and 6-yo sister. The supposed mastermind, Mahmudiyah killings, PFC Steve Dale was convicted and sentenced to life in prison, which is appealing. He said in court "I didn't think of Iraqis as humans." Several other US solider were involved i the incident and are serving prison sentences of various lengths
In another, even more disturbing and bizarre case, US soldiers killed Afghan civilians for "sport" and collected fingers as "trophies"
1. What are your views of this situation as a solider or American?
2. Let's face it. When solider are on duty over sees, they are away from their wives, girlfriends, etc. So they are being deprived of sex and the relationship they would have with their partner. Maybe this got the best of him. Should he be given the benefit of the doubt, let's say a lesser prison sentence?
3. Does this incident have a negative affect on all US troops and the United States as a country. US is suppose to be the "champion of human rights." The US is supposedly there to make Iraq a better country and support the human rights that were non-existent during Mr. Hussein's time. Could this undermine the US' objective in Iraq?
4. Do you think that anger for what happened on 9-11 could have clouded these soldiers judgment to a point that they did not know what they were doing?
- Anonymous8 years ago
1. It is horrible, but a few nutballs in a military of hundreds of thousands hardly represents the U.S. military.
2. So they are deprived of sex, if they are not married they could meet girls over there or go to prostitutes, not the most classy thing, but it is better than rape. but no, this does not justify a lesser prison sentence, the crime is still has horrible regardless of why they committed it.
3. No, there are a few nutballs in every group of people so in a military of hundreds of thousands it is likely that there will be some messed up people. it does not give a negative opinion of America, and when American soldiers steps out of bounds they are quickly arrested or killed (if necessary) so sickos do not last long in the American military.
4. possibly, but it is still not justification. i think they were just sick people.Source(s): my opinions
- 8 years ago
These men are barbaric and deranged. Soldiers deserve Soldiers. Period.
- MAJ KevLv 78 years ago
Are you ever going to stop trolling on this?