If life in the public sector were so easy?

Then why don't all those people moaning get a job in the public sector?

Listening to people talk of the public sector they'd soon have you believe that the work was piss easy, you get paid a fortune and you get to retire sitting on a massive pension pot.

My question is that if life is so easy in the public sector why isn't everyone clambering over each other to fill the vacancies in nursing, social care, teaching etc. What are you waiting for?

Best Answer

Most people can't get anywhere in the public sector.

I'm in the private sector because I want wealth, and I want to be in control of my destiny.

At the moment, the public sector isn't recruiting anyway, and the idiots elected by many more idiots are actually sacking police and military, to say nothing of immigration officers, firefighters, dinnerladies etc.

So it's a question of 'first catch your shepherd'.

However, you'll find that most of the whingers who spread lies about working in the public sector are either right wing journalists, shaven headed twats who are deficient enough in the upper storey to believe and repeat them, or semi-criminal barrow boy types who hate the world in general and anyone better educated than them in particular. And with the exception of the journos, none of these would get into the public sector even if they tried.

Source(s): Whole career in public service - Navy, teaching, NHS. None of it was a free ride!
  • ?

People ARE clambering over each other for certain public sector jobs. My niece qualified as a primary teacher in June 2010 and she, as well as about half of those who qualified with her, is still looking for a full-time job. Her boyfriend, degree in sports science and keen tri athlete, tried for the Fire Service. Didn't get an interview.

Public sector workers revel in their martyr status but still enjoy pay, conditions, status, job security and pension provisions most private sector workers can only dream of.

Who knows?

Maybe when they look at what's ACTUALLY available in the public sector, they'd realise that it's not the goldmine that they've been led to believe by the right wing press.

But then, the press can be very persuasive.

ETA: Stereotypeme - I haven't given you a TD, but I disagree with you. I knew nobody in the public sector when I started working there.

ETA2: It wasn't in the least bit political there either.

Source(s): Have worked in both sectors - currently in the private sector.

No one's suggesting life is easy for people who actually work, doing things we want them to do, in the public sector. I mean, we can't say that the police on the beat, firemen and women, nurses, doctors and soldiers are workshy or lazy - they're not.

But what about the other 5 million public sector workers? I hate to sound caché, but it's definitely jobs for the boys in a big way. I know for a fact that there are swathes of people who sit in lovely, comfy offices pushing paper around and making bureaucracy for the others. They're not necessary. Our government is one of the biggest in the world (only after China, the US and Japan), and, per capita, it's nearly THE biggest in the world. It's got to end.

Yep, in many situations public sector jobs are greater valuable. yet stable success getting one, those that pay nicely are extremely perplexing if no longer quite much impossible to get. Its in truth: "you have a BA in this field? no wai!!! ... yeah so do different thousand different applicants."

Having worked in both, I know life is easier in the public sector

It is easier to complain than to try.

I would enjoy seeing the complainers try to make "efficiency savings" of 40% on our already strapped budgets. In our department only 12% goes on employees yet we still have been asked to make savings without touching services. Even a child could work out that it isn't possible.

Everyone I know in the public sector works their *** off for little pay.

Plus, in the US, there's not a lot of jobs, private or public...

• Nathan

Because the professions you listed are bloody hard and are basically a labour of love. They're referring to the bureaucrats sitting in offices.

Source(s): I'm a teacher