Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 years ago

Any additional costs for shipping a gift from USA to UK ?

Hi

I live in the UK, and i was wanting to order something from USA.

So say i order the stuff i want, I pay for it, pay for delivery, and have it shipped to the UK, will i be charged any additional costs?

I know in Poland for example, if you have a parcel sent from abroad into Poland, Polish Customs will stop it, and will make you pay VAT after establishing the value of the parcel... so if you order a parcel for $1000, you have to pay the polish customs an additional 20% Vat.. ( Wtf )

Does anything like that exist in the UK ? or do i only pay once to the shop i ordered from and thats it? Thanks !

Favorite Answer

It is my understanding that UK customs will hold the package and charge you the additional VAT based upon the declared value of the package. Unless the US vendor deals with shipments to the UK a lot, they're not going to hassle with collecting it ahead of time or anything like that.

The vendor might have an additional shipping charge for shipping things overseas that might not be reflected on the order web page (their software may not take overseas shipping into account).

• corrie

Megamusi...'s answer is rather incredible, yet why no longer get your son to place in writing the letter? If his college relied on him to stay with a Swiss family members, he ought to have the skill to do it no probs. aside from something, in case you do no longer clarify which you will no longer talk French, your Swiss concentrated visitor would get a bad marvel while he arrives!