What Major Religions Practice the teachings of the Old Testament?

The Old Testament is how do I put this, old. One could imagine many different people coming from many different places, times and cultures would embrace this Collection of teachings.

Update:

I should have fraised this question differently.

I am looking for information on what religions read The Old Testament. It dose not matter if it is a major one practiced today or some lost faction of spitual faith from 2000 years ago.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Ami
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There's also Karaism, which is a different form of Judaism than normative Rabbinical Judaism. Karaites only use the Tanakh, and don't believe in the Oral Law (which all other Rabbinical Jews do).

• 8 years ago

Judaism and Samaritanism (which many may classify as a sub-form of Judaism)

@note on Karaism - this is a hard to define group.

Some consider themselves separate, others recognise themselves as part of the Jewish nation.

Likewise from the other side - in some places "rabinic" (or "normative") Jews saw the Karaites as part of the whole, in others, the "rabinic" Jews regarded the Karaites as "other".

Also - only a sub-segment of Karaites are "purposeful" Karaites - a philosophical movement, while others are "ignorant" Karaites - a Jewish group with less access to the rabinic legislative tradition.

From the side of the evil ones -

the Nazis killed Karaites as Jews.

@Islam -- Islam does not follow "Old Testament" (ie: Hebrew Bible). They follow the Koran and Hadits - many of the stories in these parallel the Hebrew Bible - but it is a wholy different book.

...if we want to talk "micro groups"

- There are the Bnei Menashe in India/Burma - they consider themselves part of the Jewish people but they nevertheless undergo a formal Orthodox conversion -- thus, the technical Jewish view that they agree with is that they are a separate group that is trying to re-blend.

- the Abayudah in Ugandah.

They started keeping Judaism on their own in the 50ies and have been seeking Jews to convert them to "proper" Judaism. Conversions are currently ongoing.

- there is a similar group of Indians in Peru

- the Subotniks of Russia - Russians who rejected Russian Orthodox Christianity in the 18th century. There are actualy some subgroups:

- the "Gers" - like the Abayudah - they sought full conversion to Judaism but were kept separate from Jews by force under the Tzar. Rabbis snuck over when they could to convert people and teach.

- Karaite Subbotniks - they try to follow the "written Torah" only - based on their own interpretation - and they enjoy arguing with "normative" Jews. Before WWII, they tried to keep contact with the Karaites of Russia and used prayer books from them.

- Christian Subbotniks - kinda like Seventh Day adventsts

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Judaism. But not literally. Its more about just keeping culture and following the 10 commandments.

Source(s): Jewish
  • 8 years ago

The Orthodox Jews fall in this category. Less than 1% of the world population is Jewish, though. Most Jews live in Brooklyn or Israel, with small enclaves in Europe(screw you, Hitler!) I don't know why Christians aren't Jewish, I mean, Jesus was a Jew..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Islam. As a group, they live perhaps the most biblical of lives. Which should give us some idea of how bad it would be for it to be applied universally.

• 8 years ago

All the divine books have repeatedly the same message ,,,obey and worship God.

The rest people try to self deceive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.