Different courses to be an accountant?

(UK question only please)

Okay so I've just started college and I was thinking of doing medicine as a career after college so I chose to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Sociolgy for A-levels but now I've changed my mind and I think I may go into accountancy after college (not for another 2 years). I am still going to do the same A-levels but what grade in maths would I have to get at A-level? also in GCSE maths I got an 2 A*'s as I did statistics as well :) thanks!

Also to do accountancy do you have to go to uni? or is there a part-time course I could do (so go and study a few days a week) as I'm not sure I want to go to uni. Thanks :)

Favorite Answer

f you are interested in mathematics, statistics and economics and have a keen sense of detail, the field of accounting is for you. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, accountants and auditors typically need a minimum of a bachelor's degree in the major, with some employers preferring master's degrees in business administration or accounting. To become a certified public accountant, further testing and certification is required. Accounting courses focus on mathematics, business and finance.

Basic Accounting Courses

Most college and professional business schools require accounting majors to take core courses in accounting. Students in accounting will learn the basics of business accounting, from bookkeeping to creating statements of income. Accounting courses also focus heavily on mathematics and the study of statistics. Be prepared to lean heavily on a variety of mathematics courses as you study accounting. Basic accounting courses may also dovetail into issues such as fraud detection, fraud law and fraud recovery.

Basic Auditing Courses

Auditing is not just for those who want to work for the Internal Revenue Service. Accounting majors should have a thorough understanding of auditing principles and techniques as well as how to conduct an internal audit and how to create statistical reports necessary for auditing. Students can also learn about ethics and government standards in many typical auditing courses. With the study of auditing, you can also learn about taxation. Taxation accounting courses teach you how to interpret tax laws and understand how to prepare accounts for tax returns.

Financial Accounting Courses

Financial accountants deal mainly with clients' and corporations' money, so these courses deal with understanding financial terminology and basics such as cash flow, revenue recognition, revenue and expense reports and the like. Courses will teach you the basics of financial reporting and analysis, and you'll learn the basics of finance as well.

Managerial Accounting Courses

Another career path for accountants is through managerial accounting. Usually, managerial accountants work in companies and corporations as part of the managerial team deciding on the feasibility and profitability of business ventures and decisions. Courses teaching the basics of managerial accounting focus on how to analyze cost and profitability, financial forecasting, pricing, budgeting and corporate decision-making, all the factors that go into a career in corporate or managerial accounting.

Read more: College Courses That Should Be Taken to Become an Accountant | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7760093_college-should-ta...