Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 9 years ago

Breast feeding or Bottle Feeding?

Which is better?

Why?

Also Did you Breast Feed or Bottle Feed?

Favorite Answer

Breastfeeding is the absolute best you can do for your baby, hands down. Even formula companies will state that fact on their product. Breastmilk is the perfect food for your baby. It is made by your body, for that purpose & that purpose alone. Breastmilk also contains antibodies that your body has produced from your own immune system, so whatever immunities you have will, in turn, be passed to your baby through the breastmilk. There is also less chance for your baby to have ear infections & gas, simply because there is no air in your breast for your baby to swallow. Breastfed babies have up to a 75% less chance of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Breastfed babies also have decreased risks of certain cancers in the future, particularly reproductive cancers, even baby boys. Moms who breastfeed also have about a 25% less chance of certain cancers, like breast & cervical. Breastmilk is also FREE, whereas formula costs about $25 per can. Moms who breastfeed also tend to lose their pregnancy weight quicker because breastfeeding stimulates the production of oxytocin, which causes uterine contractions & shrinks the uterus to its original size.

Does this mean that formula is bad? No. Some women have issues preventing them from breastfeeding, such as no milk production, medications that cannot be weaned & mastectomies, for example. In my own opinion, if you have the ability to breastfeed, then you absolutely should, but don't beat yourself up if you are unable to do so.

If you do plan to breastfeed, aim for at least a year. The American Academy of Pediatrics & the World Health Organization recommend two years. The first week or so, it will probably hurt your nipples & you may feel some cramping, but that is due to your uterus shrinking from the stimulation of oxytocin from breastfeeding. That won't last long & soon it will be second nature.

Also, if you think your milk is drying up a few months down the road, it isn't. Your body will regulate your milk production to be exactly what your baby needs. As long as your baby is still growing, then your milk is fine. And do not use the pump as a way to determine how much milk you have. No pump will ever be as efficient as your baby.

And I am a breastfeeding mom, 10 months & going strong!

*And to the previous poster who thinks milk dries up after a few weeks, no it does not. As long as a mom breastfeeds, her body will produce milk. Make sure you know your facts before giving advice.

Seriously I am rather shocked that anyone still asks this question. Every doctor, every nurse, even the formula companies will tell you that breast feeding is best. There simply no question of the superiority of breast milk over formula.

With my first I exclusively pumped for a year. I was not able to get her to breast feed directly, so I did the second best thing. It was insanely time consuming and I don't recommend it as a first choice people.

With my second I breast feed.

Breastfeeding is better but there is absolutely nothing wrong with bottle feeding. I personally did not want to breastfeed my son so I bought a breast pump and pumped breastmilk for him for the first 3 weeks, alternating between bottles of formula and breastmilk and now he is one of the healthiest toddlers that you will ever meet. His pediatrician tells me every time that we go to see him, that he cannot believe how healthy he is compared to all the other patients that he sees. If you don't want to breastfeed your baby then you don't have to. Don't let anyone put you down or criticize you for making a decision that you feel is best suited for your life.

Breast feeding/breast milk is the best for mom and baby. But I am a formula feeding mom. This was the choice that best suited my family. good luck to you.

It is essential to breast feed your baby for as long as possible because it contains colostrum which builds up antibodies to protect your child from diseases or even the common cold which can be fatal in the first few days of life.

Bottle feed when your milk dries up which can be around a couple of days to three weeks after the child is born.

I'm 15 but I helped raise my nephew and my best friends' baby. =)

• Miki

really? you need to ask

breastfeeding is always better. no need to list why . Im positive someone out here will list the benefits for you.

I started with the intention to bf, but ended up bottle feeding.

I STILL BREAST FEED AND MY WIFE ALWAYS COMPLAIN OF ME BITING HER NIPPLES. I AM TOO OLD FOR BOTTLE FEEDING.

• Jenny

i breastfed 5 months then formula, cause milk became less and less