1986 2.8l Camaro engine swap?

I have a 2.8l MFI and I want to know if I can buy a GM 3.4 crate motor that will bolt up to the original parts. If any one can give me any information or links to the web that would be great! please dont say put in a v8, gas is high enough and I commute to work and school.

Favorite Answer

yes a 3.4 or what is commonly called a 3400 will bolt right in. that happens to be the replacement engine for the 2,8 and 3.1. but why a 3.4?? a 3.8 will fit

This is probably not the best place to ask this question. I just did some minor searches and there's a lot of Camaro-specific forums to be found. Join and post or search these sites and I'm sure you'll find your answer.

FWIW: The upgrade engine for the venerable early S10 ('85; '86) is a GM crate 3.4L motor I saw advertised for $1800. This is a new long block motor that you simply swap all the accessories, carb and headers onto for a simple swap. Also ....don't know if it's still made, but the 3.1L GM crate was also a fairly "plug and play" set up. Most guys are upgrading to a V-8. I could see where maybe you might consider a 305 out of a later model Camaro and I'll bet the real world fuel economy between the two motors wouldn't be too far apart.

no, it will not fit "bolt on".

If fuel is a concern you should stay with 2.8, you can user a car performance simulator to do some virtual changes to you car and see how it would perform, theres great things you can change that increase economy and performance too (like final drive ratio)

Try it at http://www.nxgtrsim.com